How Long Does it Take to Break in a New Pipe ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hi there folks, I am still very new to pipe smoking and keep reading comments on breaking in a new pipe. I was just wondering what is the accepted method & time frame in properly breaking in a pipe ?

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
it will depend. is your pipe new? is your pipe pre carbonized or naked? also depends on the tobac and how often you smoke your pipe. if your pipe is used or estsate, it should not take too long. hang in there. hope this helps.
mike.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hey Mike thanks for the reply. Yes my pipe was new about 8 months ago. Its a Peterson St.Paricks Day 2012 model. Most of my tobacco has been of the aromatic type. I haven
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>s

s 1Q.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Sorry my previous post sort of got messed up . Let me try to continue here. I haven
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>s

ve added about 10 differnt tobacco blends to my collection so far. I
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>

s 1Q. I tend to smoke that one most .

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Sorry my previous post sort of got messed up . Let me try to continue here. I haven
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>s

ve added about 10 differnt tobacco blends to my collection so far. I
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>

s 1Q. I tend to smoke that one most .

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Last year's St. Patty's Day Peterson's were carbonized, so if you smoke a few times a week and especially since you are smoking 1Q, there is a good chance it's broken in.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
As has been said, it really depends on so many factors there's no way to give you a definite answer. I've had pipes that broke in effortlessly and I have one pipe that was a real pain to break in. It tasted terrible for almost 20 bowls and took probably 50 bowls before it smoked well without giving me fits. It's now one of my best smokers. My advice is to just smoke it and don't worry too much about it. It will happen when it happens.

Jul 12, 2011
Well....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2IA5Cv_5-g8
I say on avg and from what the pipe masters say, at least a good

50 smokes, but again agree with others that many factors contribute

to end result... Have fun/ enjoy the journey

Reactions: lkwttwkl

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Depends on how often you smoke it. When I get a new pipe in, or when I restore an estate, I'll smoke the daylights out of it till I feel she's mine. Like breaking in a horse. Course I let er up for air once in a while, but I give it the good go through. At this point, about a week on, after say 20 smokes, why I'll have a nice cake forming. Then its just a matter of maintenance, and cake trimming if needed.
Course you can always buy a pre-smoked pipe. Talk about workplace smoke exposure! LOL.
20090724SAWG_fg17a.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Starting with a new pipe, I think the estimate give above, about twenty bowls, is the right ballpark. Most smokers

like to start with a series of partial bowls, 1/4/, 1/3, a half, to get the carbon going in the bottom of the pipe.

Though the various carbon finishes put on new pipes may shorten or eliminate the apparent need for the process,

I think it's not a bad idea to ease the bowl into regular use. Some pipes take quite a while to be fully broken in.

Some can smoke pretty well but not have that easy smoke of a well-used pipe. Some pipes are still improving after

a year.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I get a new pipe I fill it to the top and smoke away. Most of my pipes take 15-20 bowls and then I feel it is fairly broken in. I like to smoke a new pipe every other day for those 15-20 bowls and by the time I am done the pipe will have a pretty nice cake developed. This method has worked well for me since I began breaking in new pipes 13 years ago. I figure I have broken in over 60 new pipes over the years and not a one has ever had a burn out or had any problem by me filling it to the top and smoking it. I also smoke a new pipe like any of my broken in pipes and never baby them. Granted I make sure not too over heat my pipe, but quality briar is a lot tougher than most people think.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker
Status
Not open for further replies.