PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
A handy frame of reference. The United Pipe Clubs of America standardized the rules to a slow smoke. So I can tell you exactly three grams of tobacco last most people 30 minutes to close to two hours. That's a huge variance with the exact same pipe and amount of tobacco. So don't be disheartened, but know that you could squeeze an hour and a half, on a single light, out of a mere three grams. It just takes practice.

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
How long?
As loads have said it depends on the a range of things however, a cob typically lasts 30-60 minutes, a briar takes longer. I’m not great at sitting still for ages ? so mostly smoke while walking the dogs. It also means I tend to avoid cigars larger than robusto as I get bored after an hour or so!

Reactions: JOHN72 and Fiver5

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I usually smoke for 45 minutes to an hour, or until I get bored or have something to do. I've been folding and stuffing flakes on the weekends when I have a little more time on my hands and those bowls will hit the hour and a half mark with no problem. I usually end up dumping the bowl at that point, but im sure that they would go beyond two hours.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I think I’m too heavy handed and my bowls go over an hour. Always have a good amount unburnt though. I really gotta lighten them up. Thinking about weighing them out.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I rarely smoke a bowl nonstop. One bowl can sometimes last most of a day. If I deduct the time the pipe is sitting on my side-table, I'd say it averages about 45 minutes for a group 4-5 bowl. Regardless of the actual time that's elapsed, I'm always surprised and a bit disappointed at how quickly I've gotten to the bottom of the bowl.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Most smoking occasions I have 2 bowls, one after the other.
I prefer 30-40min smokes.
I find that if a smoke lasts longer than that, I seem to "lose interest" in it, even if it was an enjoyable blend. :(
I must have a short attention span or I get bored easily. :rolleyes:
But then there are a few members here who have stated their preference for shorter smokes

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
All my pipe are more or less the same size. Usually it takes me 45 mins to 1 hour. Unless i use the mini pipe, which is around 30 mins. I think when you have become a veteran, you don't really count how long a bowl last.

Reactions: dunnyboy and Fiver5