PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
From start to finish. I don't consider the 'time'. I know that if I did, I'd reveal myself to be a terrible pipe smoker. Why? I finish my bowls rather more quickly than I think maybe I should. So?

If you can smoke your pipe and taste the tobacco without experiencing tongue bite, you're good to go.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
like McB's modern Virginia which can go through a group 5 in about 15 minutes even when sopping wet (all natural my ass)
Mac Baren Modern Virginia usually lasts me around 40-60mins in an average sized bowl.
It's never been touted as "all natural". Their HH line is now though. They rebranded it that way last year. Modern Virginia is not a part of it though.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Mac Baren's Modern Virginia Loose Cut consists of bright and darker Virginias from two continents, combined with Virginia-based Cavendish and a touch of Burley for a soft, smooth smoke. The result is a natural, sweet tasting, loose cut tobacco with a topping of ripe fruit (noticeably richer and more present here compared to the flake version) to captivate the modern pipe smoker.
from the product description on SP. Naturally, they don't describe it as a chemically laden overly flavored tobacco. "Now with even more delicious PG, for your smoking pleasure". I packed my sample loosely and experienced the burn rate I mentioned above. Perhaps packing tightly would stretch out out.
PS: If you would like the remainder of mine, shoot me your address and I'll send it over.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Primarily a flake smoker here. If I fold and stuff 2 coins of PSLBF I can get more than an hour of enjoyment. I do have an aro ribbon cut that lasts about 30-40 mins. Results vary pipe to pipe.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Typical bowl will last me 20-30 minutes, I don't understand how people can make a bowl last for an hour.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Anywhere between 30 min and 3 hours. Bowl size, tobacco cut, sitting/walking/multitasking etc all play into it. i don't smoke very large chambered pipes though and will usually get an hour an a half at least out of a gram or two.
Isaac

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
All of the above. For me it depends on the company. I can make a pipe last for an hour or so (with relights) with good discussion. Sitting alone on my porch, 20-30mins or so.
I do have a Brog Lumberjack I have been meaning to try though. It'll take an entire tin at once :puffpipe:

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Typical bowl will last me 20-30 minutes, I don't understand how people can make a bowl last for an hour.

I guess I just fuss a lot. It takes me 20 minutes to get it lit properly. I rush around all day. I'm not going to rush through my pipe.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
As mentioned there are many variables but mine usually last between 45 minutes to and hour and a half. :puffy:

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
It depends on your pipe and how fast you puff. I am a medium puffer. Here are some estimates, based my own experience.
MM Minis/Tom Sawyer/Shortstop/Morgan/Nosewarmer-a great 10-minute smoke, for a break or a quickie smoke.

MM Eaton/Pony Express/Dwarf/Huck Finn-around 15, maybe 20 minutes. Again, great for when your smoking time is limited.

MM Legend/Washington/Patriot/Shire/Elf- 25-35 minutes. A nice average-length smoke.

MM Country Gentleman/Diplomat/Mark Twain-30 to 40 minutes

MM General/Freehand-45 minutes to 1 hour

MacArthurs-1-1/2 hours+. These things hold around 1/2 oz of tobacco! Load it in the morning and smoke it all day....
I have one pipe larger than the MacArthurs. It is a Mr. Brog Lumberjack...basically a hollowed-out tree stump with a tenon and and a stem added. I have smoked it as long as 2-1/2 hours, and it holds the best part of a 1.75 oz. tin of tobacco. I smoke this (and the MacArthurs) usually when I am out catfishing from the bank. I don't think there is a larger pipe that would actually be smoke-able. Anything larger would probably require a Bonfire Permit to light. The bowl on my Lumberjack is almost big enough to cook over. If they made a grill for it, you could probably cook a hamburger on it while you are smoking.... :)

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Hahahaha, wow the lumberjack is HUGE! thank you for the in depth response Shroedingerscat ! much appreciated

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Hahahaha, wow the lumberjack is HUGE! thank you for the in depth response Shroedingerscat ! much appreciated

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I have a mm cob legend , I smoke hearth and home berry nice and it last me usually 1 hour, same thing with captin black royal

Status
Not open for further replies.