PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Like sable I find Hearth & Home blends are ready to smoke no drying needed.
McClelland Va and Va/Per's I find smoke best when very dry.
PS bulk tobacco's like LBF and LTF I find smoke best at the humidity they come at. I tried drying them out to the same level as the McClelland's and I find I lose flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly, an hour to a day, depending on the moisture in the blend and the ambient humidity. Many blends can sit out for a long time, even weeks, and smoke well. If something sits out, I don't worry about it, and usually it smokes well.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Most of the blends I smoke are perfect out of the tin. Some blends, Samuel Gawith mainly, I crack the tin and let the whole tin sit for a week or 2, until it's smokable.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
I dry all of my tobaccos in the microwave right before smoking. It's quick and convenient. I place the amount I am going to smoke on a small plate and microwave on high for around 20-30 seconds (depending on the blend). Then I remove the plate from the microwave and let it cool for about 5 minutes. I then load it up and smoke. Works great.
One thing to remember, though. I smoke mostly Amphoras and Englishes, which are high quality tobaccos with very little propylene glycol added. In my opinion, wet aromatics never dry out enough in the microwave to smoke properly. It takes literally 2-3 minutes of microwaving to properly dry out these PG-soaked concoctions enough to be smoked. But by then, there's no flavor remaining. That's why I totally avoid them.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
In my third month of pipe smoking, I'm drying more and more.
I'm finding its much easier to under dry than to over dry.
My 4 year can of Pirate Kake is an ammonia bomb straight from the can and a fine smoking experience after 30 minutes of air.
jay-roger.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It varies so much with brand/humidity/etc. You have to over time and experience develop what is right for you with the brand/humidity that you are enjoying at that moment. There is no set rule by any standard(Whew!)So sayeth the "weez"... :puffpipe:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Well, maybe Goldilocks, but I like Cinderella more. LOL... old brain failed again. 8) Besides, some of the dwarfs smoke pipes I think.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Nowdays i mostly smoke my tobaccos with no drying time at all. I find they lose taste when to dry, and i am not to worried if i have to relight a couple of times extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.