How Long Can You Wait before Relighting ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
9 Fresh Brigham Pipes
New Accessories
12 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipe&Pen

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Maryland
Title edited for clarity, thought I don't think I did a good job. Original:
How Many Days Does a Bowl Last?

I used to dump the remaining tobacco, if I had to unexpectedly set a bowl down for an extended period of time. That was a rare occurrence… until I had kids. My experience with cigars made me think once a pipe sat for a while it would taste stale as they do. But I learned from this forum, that is not the case. For those that set down and pick up bowls later, is there a point after which you just dump the bowl, or do you smoke it all no matter how much time passes? Are there any particular blends you have found that lend themselves to being smoked in this manner?

Last edited by a moderator:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Up to a week, as long as it didn't accumulate some sawdust or cat hair or other visible detritus.

Aros and heavily cased blends are the worst for this, more "natural" Virginia blends are the best, IMO. I like English blends that have sat for a while, but a lot of people dislike them.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I guess I'm not in the target group - I don't even return to a bowl after more than 30 minutes or so. Usually I've set aside the time/doing something it is compatible with and that's the bowl - maybe I'll set the pipe down for a few minutes because I need to for some reason but on the rare occasion I've abandoned it what little is left gets dumped.

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
When I’m done the bowl gets dumped
I’m anal - I like to clean out my pipes straight after I’ve finished each bowl and store them away
The thought of leaving a bowl overnight with leftover tobacco in it just does not work for me 😁
Dumping to clean out the pipes is a good idea if you’re anal. Don’t let that stuff sit all night.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It's funny because when i first read the title i was thinking how many days do you smoke the same bowl of tobacco. lol

I don't really put them down for extended times with anything in them, I load it I smoke it, I might come back to it in 15 or 20 minutes but even that's not the norm.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I'll let a bowl sit over night until the next evening (24 hours) and it is fine. I've never let one sit longer than that so I don't know how they would do.

Reactions: UB 40

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
If I'm done with a bowl, I'll dump it instead of coming back to it. I learned this habit from cigars that I couldn't finish. Best part of a cigar for me is the middle third, but I could never reclaim the magic if I had to leave it overnight.

With a pipe, I'll only leave a half-smoked bowl when I'm smoking black cavendish, because that's the only tobacco I seem to multitask with. In that case, I'll come back to a bowl right after I say, "Hot damn. I didn't finish this bowl."

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
If I remember starting the bowl….. which usually means it has been a month ago or less….. I will fire up the bowl to at least try it. Sometimes it is good and I will continue to enjoy it…… sometimes it is stale/not pleasant enough…. and I dump it. If I do not remember when I started it…. that usually means it is more than a month ago….. I’ll just dump it.

Now, before you think I am totally absent-minded (I am….. but ONLY partially, that is a key difference 🙂)…. I do not leave half smoked bowls lying about all over the place…. it is perhaps only two or three bowls a week where that happens. The others I finish in one sitting. 😜