PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
So ive been smoking my only pipe for a few weeks now. Its a cheap briar pipe, nothing awful. I smoke once a day or once every two days and clean it well. How long can i go before needing to add a new pipe. I smoke mainly aromatics. plan is to add a pipe in the next two weeks and then ill be able to alternate between the two. Curious how long people go or went (if you can remember) with just one pipe

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
The old timers only had one pipe, and they would use is all day everyday. That being said, if you want to start a rotation, Miss Meershaum sells grab bags of corn cob pipes for very cheap.

Despite all of the brainwashing folks will use to justify buying a whole room full of pipes ::cough cough:: I'm guilty ::cough cough:: men have survived for eons with only one pipe. And, they smoked them from sun up to sun down... so, with as little as you smoke, you should be fine and dandy.
But, if you want to have a room full of pipes, then just tell your wife or whomever is in charge of your bank account that you need a pipe to rest and then make up a bunch of mumbo jumbo to justify this resting period and need for pipe rotation.
Me? I'm in charge of my own money, so I don't need that pack of lies. I just buy what I want because I want it. And, sometimes I will smoke the same pipe all day long for days on end. I even have pipes I love but don't care to smoke. And, sometimes I buy pipes just to keep someone else from buying it, muah ha ha! It's my life, I do what I want. :puffy:

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have several pipes but tend to smoke one pipe for a week and then another pipe the following week. I don’t rotate pipes, I smoke both aromatics and english blends out of all of my pipes (except 2) and I pull the stems out when the pipe is hot. Don’t follow the rules if you don’t want and you will be fine. As long as you clean and maintain your pipe, you should be good with one pipe for a while. However, when you go down the path of buying pipes, you may end up with too many!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad, who died at 89 licensed to drive without glasses, a minesweeper skipper during WWII, smoked only one pipe at a time until it burn out cracked, and he only smoked Granger, from age 15 to 65, with a year or two off smoking only King Edward cigars instead, then back to Granger. My memory from childhood, was that pipes lasted about a year or a year and a half smoked from just after breakfast to bedtime with time out for meals. So that's how that works. Did he let his pipes dry out? Huh. My sense of time, as a child, was skewed; a year seemed like three or four. So I wouldn't bet on my idea about how long the pipes lasted.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I could survive indefinitely with just one pipe, but I keep seeing deals on German Ebay and just can't help myself. For example, last week I picked up a Savinelli Punto Oro for 11 bucks. I don't need it, however it is a nice pipe that came with two stems, the sock, original box and hadn't been used much. It is a tall billiard so I think it will smoke Va and VaPer very well. For less than the cost of a cob I have a high quality briar that is likely to last until I shuffle off this mortal coil and join the choir invisible.
On trips in the backcountry I'll go weeks or months with a single pipe. I enjoy the diversity of pipe shapes, makers, and country of manufacture while in civilization. Part of my smoking enjoyment comes from admiring the qualities of the pipe I'm using.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
$11? that is amazing. what a steal Savinelli is going to be my first "real" pipe. have my eye on a few styles currently

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
$11? that is amazing. what a steal Savinelli is going to be my first "real" pipe. have my eye on a few styles currently
If you don't mind smoking a dead mans pipe some good deals can be found on "estate" pipes. Not sure if the link will work for an ended auction but here is the one I got last week. The photos were poor, the description a bit incomplete, but it turned out to be a nice pipe!Punto Oro on German Ebay

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I survived the better part of fifty years with zero pipes. Then maybe six months with just one. Since then it's been one long expensive descent into mania. My h/o now looks like the backroom of a London tobacconist in the 1950s.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I started my journey with one pipe. Maybe a couple weeks later I had another and then another and then the flood gates opened. Today I smoke a bowl, clean it and let it rest a couple of days. I enjoy variety and my pipes like to be smoked on a regular basis.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I didn’t have more than one pipe for the first nine years, I went from a Dr. Grabow to a Big Ben and thought I was done. Then for some reason I bought a second pipe and it went downhill from there.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've done 3 days shy of a year with only one corncob, and about to put a year on just a Grabow only. I have many pipes, but I do it for fun. And in the name of science of course.

Reactions: Dave4211

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I went two full years with a single cob when I began smoking pipes - and I smoked it daily, sometimes more than once. Still got that cob.

When I started pipesmoking, I didn't even have a pipe. I just held the tobacco in my hand and I liked it. You had to be tough, take the heat, no complaining... not like these pussies today who complain about their stems being too small, or their bowls too large, or their tobacco too heavy. You just set the tobacco on fire... in your hand, and you liked it. :puffy:

Reactions: stogie37 and logs

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Nearly every pipe smoker starts out with one pipe and is happy with that, for awhile. Like most, I started with one pipe and I was perfectly happy with just one, that is, until I stumbled on a early pipe smoker newsgroup and soon realized how pipe impoverished I was. I occasionally consider which pipe I would keep if somehow i was compelled to go back to a single pipe and I don’t always (if ever) come to the same conclusion.

Cheers

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I did fine for quite a while with one. Except for weekends I probably smoke one, maybe two bowls a day...but then I got 3 pipes and I felt like that was even better and I have a couple to spare with friends who are interested but not willing to take the plunge... now I have 7 in constant rotation (with 4 being the ones I reach for most often) and my eyes on quite a few more. I foresee in the near future a Peterson Dracula calling my name, as I want something for Halloween (I dont really care if it's a great pipe or not, I just really like the way it looks for Halloween) and I have about 4 people on the look out for estates that I will probably pick up for the right price if they find them. I mean, I am getting a 12 pipe rack made and I need enough pipes to fill it, right?

Reactions: Elric
Status
Not open for further replies.