How Long Can Tobacco Stay Good Once It’s Opened?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jayman440

Lurker
Oct 16, 2019
SE Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

Newb here! I was gifted tons of new tins but my anal retentive nature tells me to finish one before starting another. How long will it stay “fresh” if that’s the right word, inside in cool low humidity?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayman440

Lurker
Oct 16, 2019
SE Texas
Ideally, after opening. I’d rather sample and mix it up than keep with one blend, even though the blood red moon makes that pretty easy so far.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Short answer depending on blends and type of tin but generally safe for a few weeks to maybe a month at most in open tin. If your not going to finish it in that time frame better to jar it up.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Depends on how well the tin seals. I've got some that have been open over a year and they are still great, to my taste. Square tins usually don't hold up for long. I do jar most, but I don't sweat it if they stay in the tin.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Ideally, after opening. I’d rather sample and mix it up than keep with one blend, even though the blood red moon makes that pretty easy so far.
Technically it varies.

I live in a desert and single digit humidity is not unheard of and many times it's below 15%. An open tin left out over night can be dried to a crisp by morning depending on how moist it was to begin with. People living in, say, Florida or the Carolinas might not have this problem.

Get some cheap canning jars and lids to keep the tobacco in after you open the tin and you'll not have to worry about it. I use some plastic baby food jars I order from Amazon. The only advantage they have over the glass canning jars is that they're lighter and less breakable.

Reactions: Wildrover