PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
Hello Everyone,
I have found a BurVa (Burley Virginia blend, I prefer this conjunction as opposed to VaBur)that I like it's Old Dark Fired RR. How long can this blend age in sealed Mason jars? I would like to stock up as I can buy it in bulk at my local B&M. Just curious how long it could keep well. I know tobaccos mellow over time, but what's the shelf life sealed before they become rancid?
Thanks,

Travis

Dec 24, 2012
They should never become rancid if properly sealed.
Of course no one knows what impact age will have on a blend, but I would hazard to guess that the Virginia component would become more pronounced and overtake to some degree the burley component.

Jun 4, 2014
Unless its stricken with mold or dries out to the point it turns to dust, properly stored tobacco can last decades.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I would think if your goal is to age it your would be better off to buy ODF in the flake version. What say you cellar experts?

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
My experience agrees with peck.
Also, in the old Pipe Tobacco Cellaring and Aging FAQ I used to maintain, here's what GL Pease said about aging burley, at one point:

Virginias, and to a lesser extent orientals, undergo greater changes over time than Burley will, largely due to the greater sugar content of the leaf. Burley is essentially sugar-free, the diet tobacco. While it does undergo some of its own changes, the most important of these is probably the loss of "edge" and harshness that many Burleys can possess when young. If the tobacco is good, much of this mellowing has occurred before the leaf is cut and blended.
Burley is a bit of a chameleon when it comes to its flavor. The leaf is very "open," and it takes on the flavors and aromas of the tobacco surrounding it. When first blended, the Burley component can readily be picked out in the mix of flavors. Within days, the change is already noticeable. It's still there, still identifiable as Burley, but it's already begun to integrate into the blend. Over months or years, this assimilation will become more complete, and the Burley's influence will become more and more subtle.
Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Spend your cellaring money on Virginia and oriental blends, tobaccos that will improve and develop over time, and smoke the Burleys while they're young. They may not get worse, but they're not likely to get much better, either.
Granted, his verdict is about pure Burley blends, not VaBur mixtures. I have quite a few pounds of those in the cellar, and they've gotten milder and richer with age.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
@hiplainsdrifter My goal isn't so much to age it as I like the blend coming home from the shop. My goal is to create a stock pile if you will. I am not one of those insane preppers you see on the Natgeo channel. However I am a bit of a Prepper. If the system goes belly up I want to be able to adjust fire and figure out how to replenish before I have to.
@sparks I hadn't thought about buying flake as I buy the ready rubbed in bulk.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I think it will age well because of the Virginia in it, seeing as I have some tins of straight virginias that have been aged 10+ years and they taste better then a new tin

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
@Highplains - Not sure about the RR vs. the flake argument. What is your thought behind it?
Well, most good tobacco is aged in plug form, right? I am under the impression that this is to meld the flavors of the tobacco to produce a smoother, richer product. In my mind, flake cut (or plug) continues this process better after tinning/jarring than loose ribbon. I would be curious to hear from a tobacco maker on the subject.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
If the system goes belly up I want to be able to adjust fire and figure out how to replenish before I have to.
There will definitely be a change in flavor over time, but if the system goes belly up your stash will taste even better, just knowing you have a precious commodity and exotic luxury will add to the already fine flavor. I'm currently smoking some 26 year old cigar leaf that tastes great, but it has lost some of the depth and richness. I've heard that after a certain number of years aging tobacco has diminishing returns so personally I wouldn't bother cellaring more than 5 years worth maximum and replenish as you smoke. Also keep in mind that your preferences may change over time, and you don't want to be way over stocked on a blend you may get tired of.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I do understand the flavor would change, as well as my taste. I was looking for an ear mark of time I guess. 5 Years sounds good to me. Some People go over board with the prep work. I figure a 6 month lead time on food is good. Tobacco is something that might not be as easy to grow or gather. 5 years sounds good. I know it's not something I would need to survive. But, surviving with something you enjoy would be much better. HAHA!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"Tobacco is something that might not be as easy to grow or gather. 5 years sounds good."
Tobacco is very easy to grow. If you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tobacco. Learn to grow tobacco now so you can get all the bugs worked out. And remember, in time of crises there is no better barter commodity than tobacco!

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I have read that tomato leaves have more nicotine then tobacco. I wonder if one could cure and Smoke them.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I ordered a 1oz sample of ODF, and the overpowering burley was not to my taste. If the virginia aged well, and the burley lost much of its punch, then I can see it being a better blend for me.
I already have most of the 1oz in a jar as it is, after smoking 1/2 a bowl. But time will tell. I will try it again in the summer, and if I find it more palatable, then I think I just might purchase a lb and jar it away for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.