PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I work with some Syrian guys and we happened to talk about the city of Latakia.

The way he pronounced it was similar to how I pronounce it in my mind (Lata-kia), he pronounced it like Latha-chia. Not like chia seeds but like slightly clearing your throat.

All I know is that it is definitely not pronounced Lat-akia...

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I work with some Syrian guys and we happened to talk about the city of Latakia.

The way he pronounced it was similar to how I pronounce it in my mind (Lata-kia), he pronounced it like Latha-chia. Not like chia seeds but like slightly clearing your throat.

All I know is that it is definitely not pronounced Lat-akia...
True. But…. Germans dont call their company Germany either, so there’s that.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This thread has only served to confuse me further- but I’m easily confused so maybe it’s just me?
well if it helps I consider that one of the prime signs of intelligence. Blaming ones confusion on themselves. One of the biggest idiots I've known (people often think I have made up my stories about him, it is hard to imagine a person like him hasn't offed themselves by licking light sockets or something like that) often would say something was stupid because he couldn't understand it, as in not once did he claim anything went over his head.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
well if it helps I consider that one of the prime signs of intelligence. Blaming ones confusion on themselves. One of the biggest idiots I've known (people often think I have made up my stories about him, it is hard to imagine a person like him hasn't offed themselves by licking light sockets or something like that) often would say something was stupid because he couldn't understand it, as in not once did he claim anything went over his head.
It has also been my experience that really intelligent people are quick to admit their ignorance in unfamiliar domains. I think really smart people don’t feel the need to be right about everything or to pretend to understand things they don’t because they are comfortable in the knowledge that they are smart and don’t feel they have to prove it.
** Not saying I’m one of these people- just saying

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It has also been my experience that really intelligent people are quick to admit their ignorance in unfamiliar domains. I think really smart people don’t feel the need to be right about everything or to pretend to understand things they don’t because they are comfortable in the knowledge that they are smart and don’t feel they have to prove it.
** Not saying I’m one of these people- just saying
Another good one is all the smartest people I know get weird when you call them smart and often will list numerous people that make them look like a full on dumb dumb.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
one way to look at the initial idea of this post. Is that the tobacco doesn't share the name of the town but instead has a name based off of the name of the town. The tobacco name is an English word that has been adopted and adapted from a Turkish name.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
It just gets so much more fun when one has to decide on which skill-set's jargon a word is being used in reference to. So many words are shared by different jargons to refer to different things. Tobacco pipers may (or may not) use a few jargon terms that are shared with Scottish (bag)Pipers for all I know. Or, perhaps plumbers, pipefitters or steamfitters as well?

• Love
Reactions: TheWhale13

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Other than the fact it was made in Syria, why can't it be replaced at different location? Is there some secret ingredient that can be replaced?
If there are unreplaceable factors then they are probably the local wood and herbs, and maybe the methods of making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.