PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm in the pack and light school. I smoke what I'd smoke in any other pipe on the rack. If the pipe shop offers honey in the bowl of a new pipe, I'll accept, just for the ritual, but I'd never bother at home. I think it is fun for new pipe smokers to get into some ritual of preparation, but eventually it wears off. In my experience, pipes are ready to go, adaptable to various owners, and not complicated.

Reactions: anotherbob

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Here’s how I break in a new pipe. First my methodology. ... other pipers approach this issue.
I like your method. I go with Chatham Manor or 5 Brothers, but if I'm going English on a pipe I probably just get straight to it with Presbyterian or Presbyterian Match. I use 1/3 a time or two, then 2/3 a smoke or two, then full bowls pretty much. I don't believe not just packing a full bowl is a problem either, but I just never do it preferring to error a little on caution.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rigamarole recommended for breaking in pipes reminds me of the literary let-down at the end of Huckleberry Finn, where the tidy, privileged Tom Sawyer, with Huck complicit, puts Jim, the slave recently escaped to freedom, through a bunch of nonsense magic to supposedly secure his freedom. Jim is the only responsible adult in Huck's life, so this is all the more horrible while cloaked in humor. Moral: Don't get too elaborate about anything.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I used to do the half bowl for a week because it was what I was told is 100 percent essential for breaking in a pipe. Noticed though that now just smoking it normally seems to work just as well. From what I understand it should help make an even cake if you start the cake at the bottom not the top. The thing is no matter what I do it feels like the cake is even.

Reactions: BROBS

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I read on these forums years ago, that some people use a little jam to coat the inside of a new bowl to get the cake going, anyone ever tried that?

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I have heard honey but not jam, jam sounds even messier. The most pains im willing to take to break in a pipe is that if its bare briar, smoke a few partial bowls before using it normally.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
my process is pretty simple. i unpack the pipe and immediately proceed to make a sacrifice to Odin. Generally this would be a cow, but you can substitute a goat if in a real time crunch. Once this is done i let the pipe sit on a windowsill under direct moonlight for 2 nights to charge up. Once fully charged, obviously the next step is to burn exactly 3.5 bowls of sage to drive out any unforeseen evil spirits within the stem of the pipe. Next I read a jiminks tobacco review backwards in the nude. Once this is done im all set and can proceed w packing a full bowl of a captain black grape. easy peasy.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I wont touch a charcoal coated chamber.
A Road Town Poker, made in China, had a 'charcoal' coating that tasted toxic.
It's the only time I've dumped a bowl of tobacco.

Considering that the Chinese will put formaldehyde in baby/infants formula and on fabric to help stop wrinkling for example, only Thor knows what was used in the 'charcoal' coating, so I wasn't taking any chances.

I removed it with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around my pinky finger and did the same to the other two Chinese made pipes.

Although the Poker is a good smoker I will not buy another Chinese made pipe [plus the ebay seller is a rip-off - charges $5 for each extra pipe and did not include promised free tamper]

Reactions: whsergent