How far do you have to drive for tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
The few B&M's around here cater far more to cigars that pipes. Can get some OTCs at local grocery store. By and large I get mine online. :puffy:

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Here in Cedar Rapids Iowa, there are nothing but generic "smoke outlets". They carry cigs, and surprisingly quite a few cigars. Pipe tobacco, forget it if you want something other than a cheap value blend, CB, CH, PA, or SWR. I buy a tub of CH or SWR now and then, but I get most of my TAD supplies on line from our sponsors.
When I relocate, which may be soon, I will seek an area with a good B&M nearby.
:puffpipe:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Maryland to Albany NY is my farthest! Pipes&Cigars, Cup-O-Joes and Park Lane all within 30 minutes of each other, how is that right???
I'm traveling there anyway and always try to stop by at least one.
Boswells is 25 minutes away, and the closest. I'll also hit Wingenroths in Lancaster PA as well on trips. Main Street Cigar North of Baltimore is also a favorite stop. I drive 60,000 miles a year for work, so it isn't too inconvenient.
Radio: shoot me a PM with the two NJ shops, I drive past Milford with some frequency. Who says the NJ state symbol is a toll-booth!
I am very fortunate, because you cannot mail order tobacco into Maryland at the moment.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Closest B&M is 95 miles from me. Buy my OTC tobaccos at a local discount cigarette shop. Everything else is ordered online.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I am pretty close to two B&M's the closest being about 5 minutes away. There is also one about a 3 minute walk from my work. I am lucky I guess because there are few more here and there that are not far. Stag is about an hour away from me, but I may need to have a road trip to check it out.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Houston has many B&M's to buy from spaced evenly through the city, though for all but 2, pipes and pipes tobacco are a red headed step child. While I appreciate a good shop, I often find myself buying what they have, not what I want. I am a strong and unapologetic supporter of e-commerce. It is the corner store with delivery of today. You get exactly what you want at a good price. The only downside is slightly delayed gratification and that you cant touch it before you buy it.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
You would think that living in middle England like me, that I would be surrounded by good tobacconists, not so, only a 100 mile round trip for me but not worth the hassle, I buy all my tobacco's online and have excellent service from the store I use and if I deduct what petrol I would use traveling I get tobacco fairly cheap, I think if most of you wonderful USA folk saw what we pay for Tobacco and Petrol in the UK you would be shocked. :crying:

karlj

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Steger, IL
My most local tobacconist is about a 15-20 minute drive. They have a HUGE walk in humidor but their pipe/pipe tobacco selection is descent at best. Iwan Ries is my preferred stop and they are about a 30-40 minute drive or a 1 hour train ride. When I go I usually take the train.

-Karl

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
There is a cigar shop in State College about 2 miles from my house. He carries a limited selection of pipe tobacco, none of which I'm crazy about. For Carter Hall, there is a Rite Aid and a Weis market that carries PA, Cherry Blend and SWR. I get most of my tobacco from Boswell's via the USPS but I take a road trip there a couple of times a year, about eighty miles one way.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I bought some Xmas Cheer at my B&M for roughly twice the price I could get it online. Talked to the guy at the counter and he said that he couldn't even get it for the price I was getting it for online...I say that to say that I just have to walk to my mailbox because I just can't justify spending twice as much all the time :D But there is a local B&M that has a decent selection of pipes and pipe tobaccos about 3 miles from my house.

Jul 15, 2011
I have to go about 40 miles to hit a good pipe shop, but it is well worth it because they carry a lot of really great pipes and he has a good selection of tinned tobacco and pipe accessories too. I make it a habit of at least buying pipe cleaners and a packet of tobacco every time I am there.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
Here in central/south Jersey Im fortunate to have a good B+M about 10 miles away(Bricktown).They have a great cigar selection,many accessories and a good selection of pipes and tobaccos.Also a lounge to relax and enjoy a smoke!

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Two cigar-based to tobacco shops are within 5 miles of my home. Both sell limited quality pipes (including Peterson) and local tobacco blends. About 15 miles south is Bennington's. This is pipe nirvanah with several hundred wonderful pipes from all over the world, home blends, tins, accessories and pipe repairs. They even sponsor a pipe club. Reading your posts helps me to realize how fortunate I am to have these fine establishments so nearby.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
About an hour ago, I arrived home from vacation. In all the gas stations, truck stops etc, I visited over the last 2,500 miles, I saw only one that had pipe tobacco. It had a large machine for Roll Your Own. I doubt the large bags of pipe tobacco were for pipes. I was very disappointed.
Winton

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
My local Walgreens is having a half price sale on Captain Black White 1.5 oz. for $4.89, which for in Texas is a good price.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
If i want tobacco from the local tobacconist it is about a mile, but tobacco tax is high in Texas so its about a two step to the computer. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.