PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
This is an interesting suggestion & one I’ve never heard before. Similarly, I wonder if a square of bread would work? I find this little “hack” a couple years ago for keeping baked cookies from drying out. It works remarkably well. We always throw a slice of bread in the container with our cookies.

Just talking about this…now I’m gonna see if I can wrangle my wife & daughters into baking some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies tonight.
To re hydrate I usually pour some distilled water on a water towel and wring it out and place it is the container overnight. By morning the tobacco is ready to smoke.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I smoke mostly English/Balkan with the occasional Virginia flake throw in. They’re relatively dry compared to Aros already. My pandemic ritual was to spread out a bowlful on this ceramic tray I have, watch an episode of The Sopranos, then pack my pipe and go smoke. I live in the southwest so mine might dry just a bit quicker than someone in the southeast.

Ive found that tobacco that’s dry to the touch and just a bit crunchy works best for my packing and smoking style.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I like a bit of moisture in most my blends. Crack a tin, wait about 10-15 min and start smoking through it. That’s what I do. However, I’ve smoked through a crispy package of 5 Brothers & some Haunted Bookshop kindling and enjoyed it immensely. To get the best out of dry tobacco…best to have a relaxed cadence & a slightly firmer packing/loading of the pipe. And, tamp less often too. ?☕

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I've been using a Mr.Coffee electronic coffee warming device to dry my tobacco before smoking. It was like $11 brand new, very cheap.

Turn on the coffee warmer, grab an empty tin, prepare your tobacco so you're ready to smoke it, dump tobacco into tin, set tin on top of warmer. DO NOT WALK AWAY. It should take less than 5 minutes for most tobacco.

Might take a few tries to get the hang of it as the tobacco often gets warm/steamy in the tin while warming, but then dries out even a little bit more once it cools (let it cool for a minute before loading it into the pipe).

This is a much more repeatable/controlled way of drying tobacco since ambient room humidity varies region to region, and day to day.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Different tabac from different blenders comes in various moisture, and even a blend from the same blender can vary at times.

It’s not to say that Virginias are drier than Aromatics, you could get a Virginia/blend that is quite moist.

Drying out your tabac to smoke it will come down to a personal preference, but as it’s been mentioned before, smoking to moist is not a good thing, and how dry, that is something for you to experiment with.

As an example, I have a blend from Ken Byron Ventures, called Anne Cap, which is slightly moist, all it needs is 10 minutes, if I dry it any longer it looses flavor.

Some times almost bone dry is ok, but not dust. Most of the time you take a clump and pinch it and it should feel faintly moist, just a wee bit, but then again, it’s a personal thing.

10 mins, 20 mins, 30 mins, an hour, a few hours, half a day, a whole day drying, just experiment and have fun! :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
An easy way to cut down the guesswork: Get a couple of small hygrometers. Five bucks or less. Anyone needing help in how to effectively use them, post away your questions.

• Haha
Reactions: beefeater33

diemvy5

Lurker
Nov 5, 2021
Well, I agree, dry or wet is also partly due to environmental factors and also depends on the type of tobacco. Even when the tobacco is a little dry, the flavor will be stronger and it will be preserved for a longer time

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I've been using a Mr.Coffee electronic coffee warming device to dry my tobacco before smoking. It was like $11 brand new, very cheap.

Turn on the coffee warmer, grab an empty tin, prepare your tobacco so you're ready to smoke it, dump tobacco into tin, set tin on top of warmer. DO NOT WALK AWAY. It should take less than 5 minutes for most tobacco.

This is exactly what I do. During northeast summers, the humidity doesn't get low enough to effectively dry tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Please capitalize only important words. —jpm

Bear with me here and I hope I am wording this well. I have recently acquired about 12- 1oz packs of tobacco as samplers. I understand that aromatics are “wetter” no issue there. However how dry is to dry? The VA blends seem very dry. Is that how they come? Do they need moisture or am I more use to seeing aromatics that I dont realize these VA blends are in “normal” state? I got them from Smokingpipes.com so I am sure they are fresh! Thanks for tolerating a newbie question.
I get my best flavors from Virginias when they are smoked just sy of bone dry. Dry to the touch when squeezed twixt thumb and forefinger, no sense of moisture against my skin, but still pliable, not crumbly. Bone dry is OK, but not as good for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I used to know a guy who was a very experienced pipe smoker (had over 300 pipes) and when he bought some new tobacco he would take it home and lay out some newspaper on the kitchen table, spread out the tobacco on it and let it sit till it was completely dry. Then it was ready to smoke. The moral of the story is that the amount of moisture in a blend is a matter of taste.... and that some pipe smokers be crazy! cray

Reactions: Gavrin and jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I used to know a guy who was a very experienced pipe smoker (had over 300 pipes) and when he bought some new tobacco he would take it home and lay out some newspaper on the kitchen table, spread out the tobacco on it and let it sit till it was completely dry. Then it was ready to smoke. The moral of the story is that the amount of moisture in a blend is a matter of taste.... and that some pipe smokers be crazy! cray
And it also reminds us that tobacco is shipped with a lot of excess moisture so that it doesn't dry up awaiting sale and consumption.

Reactions: jpmcwjr