PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Please capitalize only important words. —jpm

Bear with me here and I hope I am wording this well. I have recently acquired about 12- 1oz packs of tobacco as samplers. I understand that aromatics are “wetter” no issue there. However how dry is to dry? The VA blends seem very dry. Is that how they come? Do they need moisture or am I more use to seeing aromatics that I dont realize these VA blends are in “normal” state? I got them from Smokingpipes.com so I am sure they are fresh! Thanks for tolerating a newbie question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SoddenJack

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
You haven't been at tobacco collecting long enough to worry about really dry tobacco. Anything you get from the dealers will probably need to dry for at least a few minutes. I like to have an idea of what I'm going to smoke the next day and have it dry overnight. I have never found it to be too dry. I have some very old tobacco that could use a little moisture, but not too much. A good dry tobacco burns better, easier on the mouth and has more taste.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Dust is unpleasant to smoke. However, too dry is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. If you think it is too dry, put a slice of apple or potato into the container. This is what the old timers did and it works. However, do not leave it in more than few days as you run the risk of mold. It also depends on the blend as to how dry is too dry. Experience comes with, well, experience.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I had some I was sampling out for around 24 hours in a small bowl and what was left after the first go still out another 24 hours last weekend and it was great each time. It still had “character” but seemed to last much longer and easy to enjoy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Comparing those packets to aromatics which are often cased with propylene glycol will make anything seem dry.

Since you recently got them, they may actually need a bit of drying. In any event, light some up as is and make a decision.

Reactions: anotherbob

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
It's too dry if it turns to dust when you handle it or pinch it. If it mostly holds it's form, I smoke it. It will rehydrate as you smoke by absorbing the moisture from combustion. It does loose a little flavor initially but picks up as it rehydrates in my experience. This is especially true with Va's. I type this as I'm smoking some McClelland's 40th Anniversary that's a touch dry. Tastes great after the first 1/8" or so.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Dust is unpleasant to smoke. However, too dry is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. If you think it is too dry, put a slice of apple or potato into the container. This is what the old timers did and it works. However, do not leave it in more than few days as you run the risk of mold. It also depends on the blend as to how dry is too dry. Experience comes with, well, experience.
This is an interesting suggestion & one I’ve never heard before. Similarly, I wonder if a square of bread would work? I find this little “hack” a couple years ago for keeping baked cookies from drying out. It works remarkably well. We always throw a slice of bread in the container with our cookies.

Just talking about this…now I’m gonna see if I can wrangle my wife & daughters into baking some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies tonight.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
This is an interesting suggestion & one I’ve never heard before. Similarly, I wonder if a square of bread would work? I find this little “hack” a couple years ago for keeping baked cookies from drying out. It works remarkably well. We always throw a slice of bread in the container with our cookies.

Just talking about this…now I’m gonna see if I can wrangle my wife & daughters into baking some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies tonight.
Like that thinking! What tobacco would you smoke after those cookies?