PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The weather here has turned. Just around freezing, with lots of cloudcover, freezing rain, and snow. I had two bowls in the garage over the last couple of days in this weather, and both times I had a lot more dottle, and it was a lot more moist.

Is this the result of the weather? Perhaps the cold ambient air can‘t hold much water through evaporation, so it all just condenses on the tobacco and chamber walls?

This might spell the end of the season for me.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

EDIT: Oops, sorry. - Casual

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The dew point changes with temperature but I'm not sure how that would work inside a burning bowl of tobacco. I would think it's also possible the freezing cold could have altered your cadence or smoking technique.

Reactions: diamondback

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, it's not been cold here (oscillating between -13 and -1 °C), but the last two bowls I've had have bitten me. I had some LBWB in a cob last Thursday and it bit me; to-day, I had 3/4 a bowl of an aro and got bitten too. Tongue bite had become a bit of a distant memory. Last week I blamed it on the blend, mostly, but now I wonder if it's the weather. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I tend to prefer my pipe tobaccos on the drier side year-round. With that said, I have always found smoking a bowlful outside in very cold conditions ( say perhaps -15 F ) to actually be quite pleasant. in some fashion, the smoke tends to aquire a "denser, almost chalky" texture, and very often a gentle sweetness not as readily apparent to me at warmer temperatures.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No problems so far, but it has only been like 25, not too cold yet.

Most bowls are in my little space heater smoke shack now though, so Ive only had a few outside in the last few weeks.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
To you folks smoking in the cold, do you keep your pipes outside in the cold, or keep them warm in the house and carry them outside and light?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Sometimes my toes get chilly in my flip-flops.
Those Northerners will never know the pains of having to wear socks in the winter to be able to keep wearing sandals. puffy

I probably wouldn't leave my pipes in the cold, especially if we are talking below freezing. I can't think of a specific scientific reason for not doing this, except the thought of my little pipes outside all cold makes me sad.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
When I lived in Chicago the bitter cold had quite an effect on my smoking--I quit.

It just wasn't worth it. I couldn't relax/enjoy. I couldn't smoke indoors, so I'd be out on the back deck of our apartment, fully bundled up, but still shivering and rushing through a bowl. My pipe would gurgle a lot, probably due to my pace, but possibly due to the cold air as well. I just gave up altogether.

As far as leaving pipes out in the cold, that sounds risky and borderline abusive. If briar absorbs moisture, and the temperature is below freezing... water expands as it freezes, which seems could cause cracking/damage of some sort?

I live in California now, but still smoke outdoors. My girlfriend of 6 years does not like the smell at all, so I bought a $160 air purifier to keep near the desk where I store my pipes.

Reactions: Casual

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
To you folks smoking in the cold, do you keep your pipes outside in the cold, or keep them warm in the house and carry them outside and light?
For me, it is a pretty casual affair. i have pipes scattered about everywhere (outside, inside, truck, car, etc. ) . so, with that idea, i will light my pipes wherever i find and fill them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Those Northerners will never know the pains of having to wear socks in the winter to be able to keep wearing sandals. puffy

I probably wouldn't leave my pipes in the cold, especially if we are talking below freezing. I can't think of a specific scientific reason for not doing this, except the thought of my little pipes outside all cold makes me sad.
I’ll take a parka any day over perpetual swamp ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.