PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
We just had a thread on reconciling the health effects of smoking a pipe. End conclusion seems to be that a pipe is (naturally) never as bad as cigarettes and varies considerably in the dangers it does have depending on quantity smoked. The effects focused on seemed to be cancer and cardio issues. Fair enough, especially heart issues as any nicotine consumption will affect your heart.

Thing is, the thing about smoking a pipe which seems to be the hardest on me personally is the effect it has on my sleep. I've smoked on and off over the last year, on for months and off for months. Much has been at over 5 bowls a day but long periods have also been around 4-5 bowls a day. Small bowls if that matters.

Anyway, no matter how much I smoke, I seem to wake up after about 4 hours sleep, then I nap for an hour or two later in the day. During periods in which I do not smoke, I sleep 6-7 hours and maybe a little nap later on. That does seem to feel healthier and be easier on me physically.

I know the best advice is to not smoke, that's the best advice for all of us. We enjoy our tobacco and weigh that against the problems it has. So, I'm not looking for that advice.

I'm asking if tobacco affects your sleep at all. If so how? (dreaming, whatever) If there are any allowances you make, like not smoking near bedtime or immediately upon awaking.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I was afraid it would make it hard for me to sleep, since I suffer insomnia anyhow. My bowl or two a day on the weekends and almost none during the week has not caused any changes. If anything I am sleeping better, but that is due to sleep aids.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
always had hard time falling asleep. then again, i've smoked as long as i can remember. i know caffeine helps me to sleep. yeah, it's strange.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Aging, not smoking, seems to have the most effect on my sleeping and my need for sleep.
Do you need less or more now? Aging definitely has me waking up after less sleep. (then napping) Smoking seems to exacerbate that.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I haven’t noticed any difference but my wife says i snore more. I counter that with the fact that I’ve always been a snorer

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Do you need less or more now? Aging definitely has me waking up after less sleep. (then napping) Smoking seems to exacerbate that.
Think it’s possible it’s affecting your heart?
if your resting heart rate goes up, the harder it is to sleep.

coffee or other caffeine has a bigger effect on me, personally.

do you smoke high nic blends?

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Smoking kicks up my metabolism in general so I would say it could interfere with my sleep. I don’t normally have a bowl before trying to sleep so can’t say it’s an issue for me.

Reactions: BROBS

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I don't normally smoke right before bed, so I can't really comment. Although I can say that periodically it will give me a little anxiety, for whatever reason ?‍♂️

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.