PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
This stuff does the trick for me. Cleans and neutralizes any foul smell and ghosting and leaves a very light clean sweet mint smell behind. I had a new block Meerschaum that had an awful taste even after 25 bowls. I used this stuff and it cleared right up.
Screenshot_20210921-114627.png

Reactions: JOHN72

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I think I started a similar thread awhile back because I too was curious how others racked pipes smelled. General consensus was like an ashtray, just very muted if the pipes were clean. I did notice that my meer, which I bought brand new and clean after every use, smells like the exact room note of the Virginia's I smoke out of it. I've put probably 100 smokes through it and no ashy smell, just tobacco. Maybe the charred wood adds to the ashy smell? Meer doesn't burn no maybe that's why my meer still smells great.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
My pipes smell like the tobacco's I smoke in them the most and that's exactly how I like them. The pipes I smoke Butternut Burley, Reiner's Professional, and Dan's DaVinci smell absolutely delightful. I don't really understand why you'd want them to smell any other way. Then again, I can't relate to fastidious pipe cleaning rituals either. That's just me. Do what makes you happy.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
All I do is wipe the chambers out after smoking, run cleaners thought the shanks and draught holes, wipe out the mortise area, and occasionally put a little 80-100 proof alcohol in the pipe cleaners as I run them through.

Then I let the pipes sit for a few days to dry, and which point, the chambers do smell good, not at all like right after smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This stuff does the trick for me. Cleans and neutralizes any foul smell and ghosting and leaves a very light clean sweet mint smell behind. I had a new block Meerschaum that had an awful taste even after 25 bowls. I used this stuff and it cleared right up.
View attachment 107914
Oh, fresh and minty! How much does that emollient cost?

Hot water removes much of the gunk, ash and odor of a smoked pipe, but not all.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
A recently cleaned pipe still has a pipey smell. Any one else notice a meticulously cleaned pipe that's been stored away for a few years takes on a slightly sweet smell? I think its the natural smell of briar with what ever sweetness lingers from the tobacco. It's distinctly different from a newly deep cleaned pipe.
Just filled a pipe for smoking tonight, i can’t recall when i last smoked it, easily a couple of months. It smells warm and sweet, almost no tobacco smell in it.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I do a good rotation, after each smoke I pass absorbent paper into the chamber and brush with a cotton pipe cleaner until it comes out clean. Once in a while, I brush with food alcohol in the mortise. I love the sweet scent of my pipes.

Reactions: Rustamgtx

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
Actually, answering your primordial question...
Pipe shouldn't smell like an ashtray... if it is, you doing something wrong.
But how make smell pipe like a new one... pffff
It's not correct place to ask... as I think you should ask Houdini❗
By the way, my pipes smell like an angel ass (I mean nice)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Folks who've first tried the hot water flush to clean the chamber and airway often remark on how clean and fresh their pipes seem. Even kudos from a few better halves.

My pipes don't smell of ass, though, not even my angel's ass. But as I often say, "Diff folks; diff strokes".

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
You don't want it to NOT have an odor. Have a pipe dedicated to a tobacco type. I'm an aromatic fan so I have a pipe specifically for cherry, so it smells oh so faintly of cherry all the time, which is nice. You really should own a few (I have dozens) for various reasons, such as a travel pipe, one dedicated to berry-flavored aromatics, an English blend one rich with Latakia (it's pungent).

Tobacco will ghost your pipe a tiny bit (Captain Black Cherry is an unruly MONSTER at this like Cherry NyQuil in a bad way). Clean as you might, the hint of tobacco will be omnipresent even if you sanded down the interior of the bowl. You WANT this though. You WANT it to create carbon char and have a tiny bit of odor (not the stem, just the bowl). Allow it to set up. This is how a pipe lives and wants to live. Let your pipe live.

Consider panties.. oh, wait. Wrong forum.