PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
I must admit that I am amazed to hear about you guys that smoke upwards of 5 and 6 bowls per day! The reason being that anytime I attempt to smoke 3 or more bowls a day, no matter what kind of tobacco I smoke or how I smoke it, I just can't seem to get past the dry/leathery tongue and mouth feeling. Normally this tends to go hand in hand with tongue bite of some kind as well.
How do you guys do it?!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Agreed! I was reading a thread around here about how many bowls smoked per day and someone smoked an astounding 15! 8O With an average smoke time of 30 min, that's almost 8 hours – a full work day – of puffing away. Blows my mind.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
In the summer when the weather is good I can smoke two or three bowls.
The tongue doesn't bother me, but I don't know how anyone finds more time than that.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I think after 15/16 years my tounge has adapted! It can cope with 10-12 bowls if I have time.. But really just smoke what your comfortable with. It is about pleasure to me, if it stops being pleasurable.. I stop! That's usually before the bite takes hold

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
Good luck and godspeed with the nail battling! By grace from above I have managed to avoid the cig-hook.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
During the week I can only find time for 1 bowl a day. On weekends I smoke a bowl with coffee for breakfast, bowl around lunch and a bowl with a drink in the evening. I have to smoke outside so that doesn't help. If I could I would some all day!!! I believe the longer you smoke the easier it is on your tongue. (or your tongue is just leathery and adapted to the heat.) :)

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
I believe the longer you smoke the easier it is on your tongue. (or your tongue is just leathery and adapted to the heat.)
But seriously, that can't be good for your mouth! I'm not an mouth expert, but it just doesn't seem like something we should aim for.
However, many others who have smoked for years upon years note the same leathery sensation and seem to be fine with it. Who knows.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Drinking lots of water keeps the tatse and leathery mouth down. I smoke 10-12 bowls a day. Changing up the blends or smoking a mello smooth blend helps as well.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Drinking lots of water keeps the tatse and leathery mouth down. I smoke 10-12 bowls a day. Changing up the blends or smoking a mello smooth blend helps as well.

+ 1tokerpipes. I smoke about 8-10 bowls a day and change blends frequently. Drinking plenty of fluids; water, coffee,etc helps a great deal. Years and years of practice doesn't hurt either.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke 5-6 a day and always have either coffee ( hot or Iced) iced tea, or my adult libation when I am smoking. I swish with Biotene after every bowl which helps with dry mouth. I don't get tongue bite so that isn't an issue. I am basically retired and I smoke in the house so I have the time to smoke all day and night. My pipes are a group 5 and larger so an average smoke for me is 1-1.5 hours. I have never smoked a bowl in half an hour. If for some reason my mouth gets real dry at the end of the night, I just put the pipe down. I also keep Ricola cough drops on hand for between bowls sometimes, that also helps with dry mouth. I have found that certain blends cause more drying than others. Right now I am on my fourth bowl of the day. I usually get up around 11 am.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@cigrmaster wrote:
am basically retired and I smoke in the house so I have the time to smoke all day and night. ...I usually get up around 11 am
one day... one day... :worship:

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I go through 3-4 bowls a day. I tried more but i run out of time :D
1 bowl lasts me around 2 hours.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I usually get up around 11 am.
8O
You realize there's people that hate you for this. :)
Weekends(Fri-Sun for me) I'll run though a pack and a half of cigs a day plus 3-4 bowls no problem.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
5-6 for me and I'm like Cigrmaster, always drink Coffee or tea, hot or iced, and Biotene. i did mad damage my first week and my mouth is slowly recooping!!!! OH, and brushing my teeth and tongue like a mad man :puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am now 48 yrs old, semi-retired, starting part-time security job on Monday but not for the money, merely for something to do. Approx. 20 hrs a week. I go to bed at between 2-3am and am up by 9am or earlier

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
When you put down the nails for the pipe, smoking that many bowls is easy...
+1
Although I can only smoke about 6 bowls ( small to medium sized ) tops before I get smoked out, there have been a few times ( unhappy times ) when I have smoked more than that in a 24 hour period.
The key is smoke SLOW. It'll also help with tongue issues. And like the others said, never smoke "on dry" and clean up afterwards .....

Status
Not open for further replies.