PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Long of the short, I may have some discontinued tobacco I'd be willing to part with. I've seen one site with listings and prices of items they currently have but haven't found much else to go on. Any advice on who to talk with or references for something like this is appreciated!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you want to sell it, you don't price it, the buyers do. Some discontinued brings a rather steep premium, others, not so much.
Well, of course that only applies to auctions. You can also set a Buy It Now price. If you’re wanting to offer it here to other forum members, my personal approach would be to base your asking price on the original cost of the tin, plus a percentage--which, depending on the actual tobacco, might be an additional 50-200%.

Depending on the blend, it’s possible that your tins could yield a much higher selling price on an auction site. But my personal feeling is that tobaccos offered here should reflect more “reasonable” prices to benefit the community. (And, yes, for some blends, a 200% price hike would be reasonable.) But, again, that’s just what I’d do personally.

Reactions: vosBghos
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, of course that only applies to auctions. You can also set a Buy It Now price. If you’re wanting to offer it here to other forum members, my personal approach would be to base your asking price on the original cost of the tin, plus a percentage--which, depending on the actual tobacco, might be an additional 50-200%.

Depending on the blend, it’s possible that your tins could yield a much higher selling price on an auction site. But my personal feeling is that tobaccos offered here should reflect more “reasonable” prices to benefit the community. (And, yes, for some blends, a 200% price hike would be reasonable.) But, again, that’s just what I’d do personally.
The buyers always set the price. If the seller sets prices too high, nobody buys.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
FM in the range of $50 to $75, Bombay Extra $40 to $50. No idea on Contest but probably less than Bombay Extra. This is for 2 oz tins and is the range I've mostly seen these sell for here.
This. It seems $50 +/- a couple bucks for the small tins and 100 +/- for larger tins of most years of McC stuff, not including the really old stuff, that more of a premium.