PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
almost always hold with my left hand; pipe in left side of mouth--
seldom clinch these days--my pipes show the wear and tear of my clinching past--

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Like the way a pit bull holds a field mouse. Affectionately and with total commitment!

nu2pipesjd

Lurker
Jul 7, 2011
Mass
always in hand , not comfortable clenching even with softy bits... maybe I just haven't found the right pipe . Guess I just have to keep searching for it... :mrgreen:

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I haved always considered a pipe that is a sitter to be special breed...it doesn't need me to hold it or clench it.
Very independent minded little smokers.
I find sitters to be great for desk work. If I'm stuck at my desk in an evening doing the farm's business I'll choose a sitter to have by my side.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Hey Marc: For a guy who only clenches straight billiards that is one mighty great bent avatar pipe you've got up. Perhaps there is a change coming in the near future.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I like to clench and have no problem using either side but I prefer the left.
I'm right handed and use to hunt birds with a buddy out west, it always drove him a little crazy when I would shoot more birds than him with a pipe hanging out of the left side of my mouth... :puffy:

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I clench on both sides, if I'm working and want my hands free. If I'm sitting outside enjoying a smoke, I usually puff and hold it in one of my hands.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
It depends on the pipe, but normally clenched on the left side with the stem turned a little off plumb. Others I hold by the bowl, and one I hold gingerly by the stem because it gets hot enough to burn!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Usually I clench in the right side of my mouth. Used to clench on the left side, but doing so gave my right side really bad gingivitis, so after clenching in the right to help clear it up after weeks of brushing/flossing/mouthwasing/waterpicking I just do it out of habit now. From time to time I'll hold the bowl between puffs and with my BC Daccord I will have to hold it gently by the stem as well because it too burns very hot.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I clench much more now that I have applied shrink tubing to my bits. It really depends on what I'm doing with my hands (typing, for instance, or assassinating a tomato hornworm which was trying to get my pepper plant) whether I hand hold or clench. I do hold my meer in my hand some, but I'm pretty meticulous about having clean hands when smoking the meer.
It's almost always on the right side, but I do center-clench sometimes, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet.

wallaby

Lurker
Jul 8, 2011
Normally on the left. Sometimes clenching, sometimes holding with the left hand. I find that it largely depends on the feel of the pipe and what I'm doing during a smoke. It seems I tend to clench a light weight pipe more often than a heavy one.
Wallaby

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I'm a mixture kind of guy depending on the pipe and what I'm doing. I sometimes clench, like when I'm working in the shop or driving and sometimes hold it such as when I'm watching TV.
I've always wondered what would happen if clenching while driving and was to have the air bag go off. Now that's a scary thought, a permantly mounted pipe in my kisser. :)

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
imag0938r.jpg

onemangang

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2011
I chipped the top of two bottom teeth on my left side 25 years ago. A bit fits perfectly in the gap. Holding it any other way doesn't feel right! It also means I have to adjust the bowl off-center so it rests vertically.

Status
Not open for further replies.