PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I have a friend who smokes holding it in the center. But in reality he always holds it in his hand and puts it in his mouth only when puffing.
I tried it too and in fact it seems to me that this way you perceive the flavors better. It's a gourmet way of smoking, not very practical in reality.
In practice it seems to me a way of tasting rather than smoking.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
It seems that the left is the majority position. However, I hold the cigar in the center, since it is not necessary to use the molars, the central teeth are used, or the lips in order to expel the smoke. Clint Eastwood, used to place it on the sides, between the molars, hahahahahahahah. This actor, I think he hated tobacco.

Reactions: Uguccione

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I hold the cigar in the center, since it is not necessary to use the molars
Caribbean cigars, especially the larger calibers, are necessarily smoked in the center, but the Toscano, having a thin head, is held to the side; but not like Clint who pushed it to the far corner of his mouth, as far away from the tongue as possible :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I’m a little surprised about the “center is impractical” folks. The only thing I can assume is the perception of center clenching means it’s held straight out, 90 degrees from the mouth?

For me, it’s almost always well hanging down. I rest the button right behind my front teeth and let it hang down out of the way. If you look at many pictures of Lee von erck, it’s probably the best I could describe as an example. It’s very comfortable.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I’m a little surprised about the “center is impractical” folks. The only thing I can assume is the perception of center clenching means it’s held straight out, 90 degrees from the mouth?

For me, it’s almost always well hanging down. I rest the button right behind my front teeth and let it hang down out of the way. If you look at many pictures of Lee von erck, it’s probably the best I could describe as an example. It’s very comfortable.
You are likely to end up with a dental deformity. I did the test for a few minutes, and it's horrible to hold the weight. I will use my remaining molars for the time being.

• Haha
Reactions: fireground_piper

I would like to request pictures, please.

N

Nice try, Nigerian prince!
Since you're not going to be a good port, and let us belittle you (JK), I goog'd the Lee Von, and even though he is a legendary pipemaker... it still looks a little goofy to me. But, however you enjoy your pipe is ok with me.
1724334130320.png

We had a guy that would hang at The Briary with us back about 12 years ago... 12 years? damn, I've been smoking a while now. Anyways, he was a professor at UAB who always wore these old fashioned looking tweed suits that smelled of mothballs, and walked with his torso leaning forward. like he couldn't stand up straight, with this small billiard chocked in his front rabbit teeth. I didn't say anything to him, but I would quietly chuckle. Then one day, I heard someone ask where "Dr. Duck" was. I knew exactly who he was talking about. Ha ha.

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I rest the button right behind my front teeth and let it hang down out of the way
It's a technique (But it also works by holding the pipe in an off-center position) that I've seen used by some old pipe smokers (here I remember Fishbanjo). I tried it out of curiosity, but the pipe felt very unstable, as if it were going to fall at any moment, so I gave up.
Of course, this way the teeth and jaw muscles get much less tired.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
When I'm not clenching my pipe, which I switch from left to right, but mainly clench on my right side, I typically hold my pipe in my left hand. My table next to my chair is on the right, so I use my right hand to grab my coffee or move my CPU mouse around. Though I do hold my pipe in my right hand as well.

RPK

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
Absolutely cannot hold my pipe in my mouth. Could not hold cigars or cigarettes in my mouth when I smoked them either. Why, you may ask, because my mouth starts salivating ? ? ?

• Haha