PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Just had two pipes show up from eBay. The first is a BB&S Challenger (Barling Second) and the second is a GBD Prehistoric Conquest. Overall, both pipes are in decent shape. The stems will need some elbow grease and I'll want to touch up the white BB&S logo. My question for you guys is what to do about a small crack on the outside rim of the GBD? The crack does not go all the way through. What do you guys suggest?IMG_0630.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0631.jpeg

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Very nice pipes. i would suggest looking at the Rebornpipes website. But i'm sure there are peeps on here will suggest great advice.

Reactions: Jwebb90

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
My dunhill. cracks both sides. you could but a band round it if you know how it's done right.
the cracks haven't moved since i've been using this pipe. smokes superb still.IMG_20200329_002026.jpgIMG_20200329_002044.jpg

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I do not have great eyes anymore but it looks like a small crack. Perhaps leave it alone and enjoy the pipe. If it starts to get worse, then you should consider speaking to your favorite popemaker or pipe restorer on options. 15 or 20 years ago I met Will Purdy at the Chicago pipe show. This was before he was selling his pipes. He had a small tapered shank Dublin that he'd made to show people, but would not sell to me. It had a crack /fissure in the top of the bowl. Fast forward he gifted me the pipe. It's been a perfect smoker. The fissure never expanded. Fix it if and when it goes south...it may never do so. Best of luck with this!

Reactions: Jwebb90

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I do not have great eyes anymore but it looks like a small xrack. Perhaps leave it alone and enjoy the pipe. If it starts to get worse, then you should consider speaking to your favorite popemaker or pipe restorer on options. 15 or 20 years ago I met Will Purdy at the Chicago pipe show. This was before he was selling his pipes. He had a small tapered shank Dublin that he'd made but would not sell to me. It had a crack /fissure in the top of the bowl. Fast forward he gifted me the pipe. It's been a perfect smoker. The fissure never expanded. Fix it if and when it goes south...it may never do so. Best of luck with this!
I was curious if anyone had any tricks but I think you are right. I have all of $13 invested into the pipe, so If it gets worse I will not be broken-hearted. I'll get it cleaned up and ready to jump into the rotation.

Reactions: boston
Status
Not open for further replies.