How Do You Find the Right Pipe Maker to Commission?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Brigham Pipes
48 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've been wanting a somewhat conventional pipe shape but haven't found any of the factory pipes that are made in this shape and in the proportions I want. Naturally, that means going the commission route. The thing is I'm overwhelmed with the amount of pipe makers that are around. Clearly, this is a good problem to have but with so much choice out there it's hard to find and choose a maker who makes pipes in a style that suits your vision and comes in at your price range.

Anyway, how do you personally chose a pipe maker to take on your commission?

Reactions: Laurent

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably referrals from members here who regularly do commissions are a good bet. You may want to factor out some tendency to recommend carvers who have become friends and customer loyalty, but most members are pretty good critics and know what they are buying. I'm not a commission person, so i don't have a recommendation.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had a very rigid process of evaluating various carvers.

Here’s what I did. Mind you, it’s not conventional.

I climbed to a very tall active volcano, tossed in the midget or dwarf or whatever 2022 calls a munchkin, if he floated I located another one. If he sank or burst into flames, I used Ryan Alden.

I really think it’s a good system. I have over 30 of his pipes.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I had a very rigid process of evaluating various carvers.

Here’s what I did. Mind you, it’s not conventional.

I climbed to a very tall active volcano, tossed in the midget or dwarf or whatever 2022 calls a munchkin, if he floated I located another one. If he sank or burst into flames, I used Ryan Alden.

I really think it’s a good system. I have over 30 of his pipes.
So what you’re saying is you’ve
murdered over 30 “Little People” ? ?‍♂️☕

• Haha
Reactions: bayareabriar

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Look at their web sites or Facebook accounts to see photos of their work. If you see one that appeals to you, contact them. Two excellent ones in Ryan Alden and Jack Howell have been named already. I have pipes from both and can highly recommend them.
This^^

When I did one of my first commissions I went to the Pipemakers Forum. I read what the different members said about their aims in improving the quality of their work and was immediately impressed by Scottie Piersel. What she had to say ticked all the boxes and I contacted her about a commission. I now own 6 or 7 of her pipes and every one has been great.

At the last WCPS the only pipe I bought was one of hers, and by the time the show was over I had directed a number of people to her table. We even had a Piersel pipe club going on in the smoking room, everyone at the table blissfully smoking her pipes.

My last commission was a Jack Howell and it is a wonderful smoker.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Personally, any artisan carver whose pipe I already have one of and really like is an option.

If the carver can get the mechanics of the pipe right then I look for who I think might do the best at the style of pipe I want.

Some carvers just seem to accel at certain shapes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Again, I don't commission pipes, but several times on Forums people have mentioned young carvers who do high level work but haven't yet made a name for themselves, who will do commissions for a fraction of the price of the known carvers. You might want to see their work first, or go on very dependable recommendations, but that is one route.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anyway, how do you personally chose a pipe maker to take on your commission?
Photos of their work. So far over the past several years Bruce Weaver (RIP) and J. Everett have been the only two that have impressed me enough for multiple commissions.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I've been wanting a somewhat conventional pipe shape but haven't found any of the factory pipes that are made in this shape and in the proportions I want.
Can you describe it? You might get a bit more focus in terms of recommendations...?
Price point is obviously going to be a factor, but I do think @shanez makes a great point about already owning a pipe by the maker. That gives you some assurance that the pipe will smoke well for you & be comfortable in your mouth.

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I found a photo of a pipe on this forum. I reached out to the carver and used the photo as a starting point and we went from there. It is in transit to me now. During the process, he shared a lot of info about my particular pipe’s mechanics and his overall carving philosophy. (Might fit your conventional needs nicely).

Todd Bannard of BST Pipes - super cool dude and someone I’d like to support moving forward, assuming the pipe is spot on, which I have a good feeling it’s gonna be killer.

Reactions: OzPiper

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I was looking for something unusual and decided on a pipe to be made of Morta. I am having one commissioned now. Might want to look at this carver's work. I will post the pic when available.
3-week lead time on the silver band.

Davorin Denović <ddenovic@gmail.com>

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I look at their social media where most modern pipe makers post their portfolio. I was impressed by @Chasing Embers 2021 Halloween pipe by J Everett, looked at his Instagram and loved the other pipes, so I commissioned one.

IMG_20220220_192305_782.jpg

Sean Reum does a nice Instagram live feed when working and I loved his portfolio so I also commissioned one of his.

My commissioned Meerschaum by Altinay was based on a off the shelf pipe I have from them, I like that pipe a lot so I contacted them via DM.

I'm normally buying stuff repeatedly when I'm satisfied with the product. For meerschaum pipes I won't divert from Altinay fast, if he doesn't have it in store you can ask for one.

Reactions: Said.ALTINAY

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I look at their social media where most modern pipe makers post their portfolio. I was impressed by @Chasing Embers 2021 Halloween pipe by J Everett, looked at his Instagram and loved the other pipes, so I commissioned one.

View attachment 130023

Sean Reum does a nice Instagram live feed when working and I loved his portfolio so I also commissioned one of his.

My commissioned Meerschaum by Altinay was based on a off the shelf pipe I have from them, I like that pipe a lot so I contacted them via DM.

I'm normally buying stuff repeatedly when I'm satisfied with the product. For meerschaum pipes I won't divert from Altinay fast, if he doesn't have it in store you can ask for one.
I too am pleased with Altinay. I have not commissioned anything from him but have found him most helpful.