PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I'll avoid feelings in posts. We'll stick to objective and rigorous thought, as we always do.

It's a little hard to sample Granger since it doesn't come in its handy foil pouch anymore, only a tub. My local independent pipe shop sometimes sells it out of a tub by the ounce, but I think that's unique. It has a little more edge than CH or PA, and though it has molasses flavoring, it is often sold as a non-aromatic. The flavoring is low key.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
There is no more Syrian latakia. Hasn't been any produced in 20 years or so. A good 15 years ago or so, the warehouse here in the States that had all the Syrian used by all the blenders except for McClelland burned down.

As far as the original question goes, I smoke Lane RR regularly. I have three tubs stashed, which should last me a while.
Otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, I have never smoked any Lane's. The pipe shops I have frequented don't sell relabeled Lane's.
I wonder if 1-Q is really the largest seller in the world. In the US, perhaps, but does it have the reach of some of the Mac Baren's blends, which are sold all over the world? puffy
I know about the batch of aged Syrian that was around in the early 2000s, used by GLP and CD and lost in the 2004 warehouse fire. I recall McC used the same leaf but theirs was stored in a different warehouse and therefore unaffected by the fire. I also understand that Mac B's HH Vintage Syrian used the same aged leaf until they ran out in 2017 . I've come to the conclusion I don't like that batch of Syrian lat: it's too soft and muted, probably because it was supposedly made in the 70s or 80s and already quite aged at the time of blending, and (I'm guessing) stored under non-ideal conditions. I've since had Syrian in even older labels and tins that are quite forward and bold and very unlike the aged leaf used by C&D, GLP, Mac B, McC in the 2000s.

This is the first time I've heard that Crown Achievement had Syrian latakia. I'm now wondering whether what I smoked in the early 2000s still had Syrian latakia. The CA I had in that era was not soft and muted. Maybe because it was Cyprian after all.

There's lots of lore regarding Syrian latakia, and latakia in general, and very little accurate information it seems. With a hat tip to @oldgeezersmoker, it seems that today's latakia is all made in Turkey. See this article from Tobacco Reporter: Nurturing a Niche - Tobacco Reporter - https://tobaccoreporter.com/2021/04/01/nurturing-a-niche/. The former source of all "Cyprian" latakia, Bee Trading (see Pipestud's article at Pipestud's Consignment Shop | Is Cyprian Latakia Dead or Alive? - https://www.pipestud.com/is-cyprian-latakia-dead-or-alive/) seems to be out of business: its website Home - Bee Trading Tobacco Latakia Tobacco - https://www.beetradingtobacco.com/ appears defunct.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Technically, you could say that "Lane" hasn't been around for about ten years... But the trade name was still being used because it has brand recognition.

They closed the Tucker, Georgia facility about a year or two ago, dropped some of the blends, and started manufacturing it somewhere else. Nothing new really. That sort of thing has been going on for decades. Companies buying out other blends and consolidating them.

Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Pipe Our Story (stglanepipe.com)

I have a number of Lane blends in my cellar, and I feel fine... It's the end of the world as we know it...

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
Where would you say Granger stacks up against PA and CH? Those two were briefly unobtanium and now apparently shifted production to DR and I haven't heard enough about the new stuff to judge yet. I want to get a canister of codger burley on my next order and was considering Granger...
I love half and half.

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
Oh see nooo H&H didn't do it for me. That anisette topping was just....yeah it didn't work for me.
There is no anise to my taste, or per the packaging. "Cardamom, coriander, and maze" maybe a little cherry. For anise you have mix 79, SWRA, warhorse, condor.

Reactions: Jim Sobie

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
I have some lane 1Q from a few years back. One of my first purchases. I haven’t packed a bowl in over a year. I’m into more complex and bolder flavors for now.

Reactions: Jim Sobie

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
I have some lane 1Q from a few years back. One of my first purchases. I haven’t packed a bowl in over a year. I’m into more complex and bolder flavors for now.
I bought 2 oz or just enough to fill a pint jar. I've got maybe 3 bowlfuls left and yeah probably won't repurchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.