PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think 1-Q is the all time best seller blend in the world, and few people start pipe smoking without smoking at least some Lanes blends, often re-named by a pipe shop or chain. Yet, I think most pipe smokers trend away from Lanes blends once they get into other brands and many never come back. I think I smoked my share of Lanes years ago. I still have a small jar with a small amount of 1-Q in the bottom, well aged, still moist, rarely selected for my daily pipe.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really like Pioneer Square it's a Seattle Pipe Club Blend made by Lane. Golden Cavendish with a Vanilla extract taste (clear alcohol notes but very rich complex vanilla). It's plainish but very good. Not overly PG laden which is what stops me from liking 1Q and some other lane blends like Captain Black. I know I've smoked some other blends that I really liked that where made by Lane but I can't remember which ones but some of them are on my regular rotation.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I enjoyed the Cohiba blend a few years back. I was thinking of getting some q1.

anyone ever try the original crown achievement? I would have enjoyed sampling that. Was it like Esoterica is now? As far as availability and flying off shelves.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I was once sold an ounce of some kind of straight black Cavendish out of one of the big glass jars at my local B&M a long time ago, that I suspect was a Lane (or maybe Sutliff) product. I’m not sure what it was, since the stores always rename the stuff. They called it “bon noir.” It was a little bit goopy, but actually not bad in taste, and I tend to steer clear of black Cavendish unless it’s in a blend. It had a topping that reminded me of vanilla and some kind of fruit or liqueur that I couldn’t quite place.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I like Lane HGL quite a bit. It’s mild tasty and unobtrusive. It’s not going to produce a magical smoking experience. but I smoke it when ever where ever I want and enjoy it. Perhaps in time I’ll move away from it but probably no time soon.
Ditto.....
I smoked "HGL" for years...as a substitute for Lane's -now defunct- "10 Downing Street". Both, nice and mellow, and very easy to smoke.

BUT!......HGL is slightly more ballsy with the addition of some cigar-leaf. Start at 3 parts HGL : 1 part cigar-leaf for some thick, creamy, mellow, smoke.

Lane Ltd makes some nice very consistent mixtures- that can certainly be smoked straight....but, you can make these "base" mixtures a lot better, more nuanced, more flavorful, just by adding some condimental tobaccos like Latakia/Perique/Dark Fired, or, by mixing with other blending tobaccos.

Last edited:

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
I love 1Q. I didn't care for LL7, but I think I only smoked a bowl of it. Also, I bought 1 oz of HGL, smoked one bowl and then tossed the rest. It 100% did not agree with me. I always mean to buy a tub of ready Rubbed but never do.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Ditto.....
I smoked "HGL" for years...as a substitute for Lane's -now defunct- "10 Downing Street". Both, nice and mellow, and very easy to smoke.

BUT!......HGL is slightly more ballsy with the addition of some cigar-leaf. Start at 3 parts HGL : 1 part cigar-leaf for some thick, creamy, mellow, smoke.

Lane Ltd makes some nice very consistent mixtures- that can certainly be smoked straight....but, you can make these "base" mixtures a lot better, more nuanced, more flavorful, just by adding some condimental tobaccos like Latakia/Perique/Dark Fired, or, by mixing with other blending tobaccos.
I am absolutely going to try adding cigar leaf to some HGL - thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.