PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have around 85 pipes and 43 different blends of tobacco.. I dedicate all my pipes to either certain genres or to specific blends. I like a nice variety when I am smoking my 3-5 pipes per day. I never use the same pipe or smoke the same blend in the same day.

Some months I might get into a rut and smoke only 25 blends, other months I might expand to 35. I smoke aged tobacco all the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A footnote on my post: I smoke mostly briars, with about a dozen cobs, one Meer sent me by the late great Sante fish'n'banjo, and four hand carved Mountain Laurel pipes by N.C. carver Jerry Perry, plus several of his briar pipes and one he did in cocobolo. I also have a 14" clay pipe from Holland. Probably there are some I'm forgetting. Variety is one of my "things." I have a much admired bamboo shank rusticated Dublin by the late Bob Hayes, he sold me at the last TAPS show he attended, a pipe he sold me in the last hour of the show at a stunning discount.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
When I am not bouncing around the Confederacy I have a large rotation of meerschaum 'cutty' pipes which you lot have seen loads of pictures in the past. I have a few favorites like that 'shit' colored 'cutty' with the silver band and Redmanol stem and a few others. On the whole when I am home I rotate 2 or 3 pipes a day so they get time to air out otherwise you get that old meter cupboard and wet raincoat smell in the shank that ruins a smoke. We should all raise a glass to Johnnie Pipe Cleaner for his pipe cleaner and gin trick for clearing funky stems. Works like a charm!

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
1 to 12 bowls a day. I have more pipes than I smoke, and find myself coming back to the same 4 or 5 pipes.

How many bowls of any given blend depends on how much I put out to dry whilst my coffee is brewing in the morning. For example: This morning was an egg-sized wad of Cardiff, and I just finished it an hour ago - about 4 bowls with the same pipe but that stuff burns fast.

We're getting some flurries this afternoon and it's a dreary wet, cold day outside. Got the fire going, thinking about diving into some Latakia. I may not smoke it in the same pipe I've been using today, although maybe I will, who knows?

Franco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2019
Lower Terrebonne
I have a little over 60 pipes which works out well for me since I smoke two bowls a day. That way, I only smoke my pipes once a month. That gives them plenty of time to dry. Mostly smoke Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends. Though I do smoke Deep Fired when looking for a change. I have a lot of English blends that just sit in the cellar as I've become much less a fan of Latakia over the years.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have around 30 pipes, mostly estates I scored for cheap on the 'bay, and some get smoked almost daily while others get smoked only on occasion. Sometimes I'll smoke the same pipe a few times a day just because I like the way it's working for me. No real rotation. Dedicate to genre and sometimes to specific blends in the case of loud Lakelands or particularly nuanced oriental/Englishes. I wipe out the bowl and run a pipe cleaner between smokes and occasionally do the water treatment or run a pipe cleaner dipped in booze or denicotea solution if it smells funky. I tend to designate certain blends as best for breakfast, all-day, and late night smokes, but if I catch a craving, all of the above goes out the window.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I am random smoker, due to life style, schedule and circumstances... Right now with the crummy weather I smoke about once a week, sometimes less. When better weather returns, it will be daily at times. So with my with my small tobacco cache and four pipes, I have no real routine. Pretty simple!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have about 20 pipes in rotation and another 30-40 in the "strategic reserve" box for use in the future. Of my 20, about 15 are primary with the remaining five as "occasional use"

Tobacco is a huge jug fuck. I have boxes of it everywhere now. 95% non-aromatic. I'm still working my way through "odds & ends" baggies and never seem to run out of the stuff. Actually popping a tin is a note-worthy rarity these days.

Pipe cleaners and butane aside, I likely need not ever make another purchase, though the occasional item catches my eye.

I smoke evenings and weekends in the command bunker, one room of my house set up with a Jerry rigged negative pressure ventilation system.

Trips to pipe club on alternate Thursdays and to coffee house patios during nice weather comprise my remote smoking activities.

I finish each smoke with the pipe cleaner through the stem and then doubled over in the chamber. About once a month, I grab the 2 or 3 most neglected pipes and drag them to the kitchen for the "whole 9 yards" cleaning.

I begin a smoke by deciding what tobacco I desire and then choose the appropriate pipe. Two pipes are latakia pipes, two are aromatic pipes, two are VaPer, one is dark fired. The rest are Virginia and burley pipes, two of which are Lakeland focused.

One pipe, the Karl Erik Ball, recently replaced the generic German #26 as the Black Frigate pipe.

Now, you know all of my secrets and I need not post any more... :col:

1582444001967.png

Reactions: chopper

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I smoke cobs and kind of rotate as to mood, but... Often I'll get lazy and promiscuously stick with one pipe much longer than most here would consider proper. However, I build a fair cake before I ream, and when I clean a pipe I fill it with alcohol, let it sit, and then run hot water through before cleaning with cleaners. Sometimes twice with the alcohol, then water. (Then a long drying time) My cobs end up with a pretty absorbent, semi-porous bowl and take a licking and keep on ticking. Plebeian tastes, yes, but it puts the Meerschaum in Missouri Meerschaum.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
No pattern. I have more pipes than I can smoke in a rotation. I also have so many open tins or bulk samples in small jars that it will be a long time before I get to any of the unopened tins of blends I have not tried. I just pick a pipe I want to smoke and a blend that I feel is the right one for the moment. Sometimes I will stick with a blend or pipe for a while but not too often. I’m liking the simplicity of randomness now.

Reactions: jaytex1969

Mr_Smokey

Lurker
Feb 17, 2020
London, UK
I have 5 pipes but only use 3. I pick one of 14 tobaccos and choose a pipe to pack. I put on multiple layers of clothing and go in the garden to smoke. I smoke about 7-8 bowls per day, rain or shine (or in a gale, like the other week ? )

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.