PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
I enjoy my pipe but find it hard to deal with the loneliness of smoking, alone, in my studio. I used to enjoy conversation, playing chess, etc...but those days are over. Don't misunderstand me, I understand the reasons, but I still find it difficult. How do you deal with it?

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Well I got several friends into pipe smoking...but how to deal with the loneliness...well I started a YouTube channel about pipe smoking, there's Skype as well. Also I spend a lot of time on here with my pone while I'm smoking.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This place is how I deal with it. For many years my home away from home was a cigar lounge where pipes and cigars were smoked. We had a great group of guys who were regulars and we used to play cards, watch sports and of course argue about everything under the sun. I was in there from 10-6 5 days a week for years. I do miss the guys, the camaraderie, the arguing, but life changes and I had to adapt. I decided to move to Florida knowing what I was giving up, but I am still glad I moved.
This place does take the place of that lounge to a good degree. I still get to talk pipes, hang with the guys, and argue now and then( all in good fun of course). No it is not like face to face interactions but it is way better than nothing that is for sure. I have gotten to know a bunch of great people and hopefully will get to meet them in person at a pipe show or maybe locally some day.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
All my friends are fine with smoke. So I'm not always smoking alone. But 90% of the time I'm alone on the back porch watching a movie on the iPod or reading a book while smoking the pipe.
I look at it as ME time. I enjoy it. If you find it depressing then go out and find some friends to chat with.
There are plenty of places to sit down with a pipe and you'll attract attention.
Hell, get your chess set and a portable table and a few chairs and set up shop in a park on a nice day with a sign that says,

"Fancy a game of chess? Have a seat."
Should find a few willing participants depending on the area.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The solitude is what I crave. Elimination of the outside world and it's massive amounts of BS and the people who make it that way is what I desire. When I'm around people I have to talk to, it totally interrupts the whole process....nothing but constant re-lights :evil:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Some times I enjoy being alone with my thoughts..I really do wish at times though that I had other pipe smokers to get together with and share good conversation and smoke.The sad reality is though that seldom happens.Last time I went to the smoke shop on a Saturday morning I was the only one there smoking a pipe.Everyone else was smoking cigars.So usually the only choice I have is to smoke alone.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I know exactly what you mean, nickg. Since I can only smoke outside it used to be the same for me until I got my iPad. Now when I'm smoking I'm either here or checking out YouTube.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I assume that the reasons you can't get together with other folks, play chess, or converse, is they don't like you smoking? They blew you off and ended the friendship because of your smoking?
Might be a good idea to find a b&m and go smoke there, or invite people over who don't mind you smokin a pipe

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I thought this thread was how I deal with having rugged good looks and women chasing me constantly. :rofl:
I actually like solitude and avoid crowds. I do enjoy the occasional get together at out local B&Ms with my Texas peeps. I didn't mind performing in front of crowds back when I did that, but after the show I usually hid in a corner and drank beer with a few people that I knew.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Pipe clubs. I am fortunate to belong to two of them here in South Florida: The Boca Raton Pipe Guild and The South Florida Briar Brotherhood.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If I am smoking, I am almost always alone. The annual pipe show is the only exception.
But if you are just lonely, figure out why you don't have friends around. If your pipe is annoying them, leave it home. Perhaps friends and pipes are not going to work for you in your situation. Do one then the other. Try church. It is safer than bars.
Winton

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
The hour or so each evening that I spend smoking is the only time I get to be alone with my thoughts. I have never been one to do anything else when I smoke. It is my time to think. It is good for my mental health! - bp

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Kids are in bed. Wife's unwinding from work. Out here it's just me and my dogs.
So nice.
Your never alone outside. You've got the stars, the grass, the birds, the people in your neighborhood.
Have you tried moving your smoking outdoors?

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I enjoy my solitude at times. I am able to read, smoke a bowl and listen to my music without interference from the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.