PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Punch or perfect cutter, depending on the variables one would consider like shape and such.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I would say I'm 75/25 with a straight guillotine vs a "V" cutter. I like the "V" for wider ring gauges and/or cigars with a loose draw.

The only "V" cutter I mess around with is the Colibri which takes a nice wedge out from the cap. The others I've tried have left too small and shallow a cut.

For straight cutters/guillotines, I've had good results with Xikar X8 with one moving blade and one fixed. The Nighthawk is another good (and cheap) one in the same style. The teardrop/butterfly style cutters from Xikar are pretty good, too.

I don't normally believe in spending big money on cigar and pipe accessories, but I'll spend a bit more on a good cutter because of the potential for a bad cut to screw up an entire cigar smoking experience.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
It has been so long since I smoked a cigar, that I forgot how I did it the last time. I predict my next cigar will be at the August meeting of the CCPC. (birth month)

Reactions: danimalia

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I've been exclusively using one of those Cuban Crafters 'perfect cut' guillotines with the backing plate and the hole for torpedos, etc., but the limitation of the backing plate is starting to drive me nuts, since I often require a little more off the cap to get a good draw. So I just ordered a Xikar Xi1 and a pair of scissors to try.
Intrigued by the v-cut but I find it so aesthetically displeasing that I'm not sure I can handle it.

Aug 1, 2012
Every time I've been in Central and South America the cutter of choice has been a pen knife or cheap scissors. Hence, that's what I use. I do have a couple nice circular pinch cutters but they aren't any better or worse than the cheap local options.

Here's to my favorite Belizian Maya cigars cut with a pair of craft store scissors. ?

Reactions: odobenus

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only thing good enough to cut my cigars was an 18kt gold Dunhill cigar scissors. I got it from a guy g=for only 5 grand which was as steal.

Not buying that one are we? I used my handy dandy swiss army knife with the cigar cutter. I had the red one for years and then the stainless one came out. I still use the stainless one to open my pipe tobacco tins. No idea where the red ones are as I had 2.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like the punch style, less messy than the guillotine style for me. Maybe cause I haven't mastered it yet. Or my cutter was cheap garbage. But I've been buying pre cut ones, so that's much better for me. Lmao.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
When I smoked cigars on a regular basis, I chewed them as much as I smoked them. I'd smoke one halfway down, let it go out, and chew on it for an hour or so before finishing it. At least that's how I did it at work. I had a cigar, lit or unlit, in my mouth most of the day. So, it was a no brainer to use my teeth, generally taking a while to gnaw it off just right while going about my business.

After work at home, it was usually a better cigar or a pipe.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Just bought a V cutter & like it best. (Over teeth, bullet, guillotine or knife)
So far.

Yeh, I don't like having floating bits of tobacco swirling about my mouth as I smoke, so I don't try that cowboy method of just chewing it off. I have a bullet cutter and a V cutter snapped to my pipe bag, and I always have a couple of guillotine style cutters on hand as well. I just use whatever best suits the cigar by my estimation, but yeh, by the end of my smoke, it's usually just a chew toy anyways.

What's with the anti-cigar rhetoric? I don't think I've ever seen that here before. I've actually been smoking more cigars this summer than pipes, and when I smoke my pipes, I have been using cigar blends. That new Cloud Hopper blend has been a pretty tasty summer blend for me. The Cloud Hopper cigars by Warped aren't bad either.

Reactions: odobenus