PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is some crud stuck in these grooves on a Bulldog I'm cleaning up. I was hoping that Murphy's and the toothbrush bristles would clean it out, but no.

I don't want to use the end of a push pin as it might scratch, but is there a trick to cleaning these grooves? I've never really come across this before.

P_20200130_103932.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr
The wood inside those grooves looks unpolished, so I wouldn't worry too much about scratching it. I mean, don't dig it out aggressively, but a little scratching wouldn't show up nearly as well as it would on a polished surface.

But, I say that to just better answer your question. As a bulldog collector, I just don't let those little dirty details bother me, but that's me. It is usually darker inside there than the rest of the pipe, because of the polishing, so it doesn't stand out.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and python

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Not that it is the same, but I had great success with an electric toothbrush on rusticated pipes. So, if you have an electric one, maybe that'll do the trick.

Reactions: python

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
never clean the bead lines. more crap it accumulates, more character it adds to the pipe. or that's what i tell myself. you can probably use a corner of folded napkin or paper towel, but if it's not polished to begin with, i don't know what good it will do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd try a string with a bit of toothpaste on it. A string of the right size (diameter to fit the grooves), then you wrap it around, work it back and forth, cleans most of the groove at once. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wouldn't something with a bit of abrasion (cotton string, with or without tootpaste) work faster than monofilament or dental floss?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wouldn't something with a bit of abrasion (cotton string, with or without tootpaste) work faster than monofilament or dental floss?
Possibly, but I've not yet encountered one that needed more than heavy mono to remove the crub. (Fly line butt leader material works well)

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Looking at the picture you included in your post, it appears that what you are calling "crud" is actually the broken grain of the wood. If that is, in fact, the case, then I'd be inclined to leave it alone. Any picking or poking will only lead to more torn grain. If, however, you are dead-set on smoothing it out, I'd suggest Crocus Cloth abrasive -- or some other fabric backed sanding material. With a fabric abrasive sheet, you can tear it in any width you need. Start with a scissors to get the tear the correct width, then just rip the sheet along the weft to get a strip of abrasive that is the exact width of those grooves on the pipe. Put the pipe in some kind of vice and go at it like you're shining your shoes.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Looking at the picture you included in your post, it appears that what you are calling "crud" is actually the broken grain of the wood. If that is, in fact, the case, then I'd be inclined to leave it alone. Any picking or poking will only lead to more torn grain...

That's what I was thinking..

Status
Not open for further replies.