PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I had one person, who had purchased a new one, compare it to a Peterson in the lower price range. Someone else didn't think too much of it. I understand they're "basket pipes" and I'm not expecting a "low cost Dunhill". But I've been looking at their zulu and I find it a nice rendition.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
From the previous threads i've searched an found on here doesn't seem to be too much into on the latest rendition of Parker only that they haven't been made by Dunhill for quite a while, but nothing really negative about them, a couple posts that they were bought as basket pipes in london and were good smokers. I'm sure someone with more recent experience will chime in here.

• Love
Reactions: sparker69

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
From the previous threads i've searched an found on here doesn't seem to be too much into on the latest rendition of Parker only that they haven't been made by Dunhill for quite a while, but nothing really negative about them, a couple posts that they were bought as basket pipes in london and were good smokers. I'm sure someone with more recent experience will chime in here.
Wow - thanks for checking that out! I took a bit of a peek as well and didn't see too much on the recent editions. Let's see if I get a few more comments.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I wouldn't call them basket pipes. There is a recent line of sandblasted freehands now being sold by some of the Italian pipe retailers. The bowls look like Dunhill's work. The stems, however, are pre-formed and not hand cut to the level of Dunhill. Still, worth checking out if you like the look.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Well....I pulled the trigger. A Parker pipe should be on the way soon - pics to follow!
That's the spirit, old bean!
I'm curious to see what your impressions of it will be. I have a few Charatan from the current production and I am very satisfied with them, they smoke well despite being inexpensive. :)

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
But I've been looking at their zulu and I find it a nice rendition.
I have several newish (10-12 years old) Parker pipes, three Zulus and a Bent Bulldog from Jockey Club and Bruyere series, all bought from Smoke-King UK. Far from being just "basket pipes", for sure. Not on pair with even the lower lines of Peterson, either.
Overall, decent manufacturing and engineering, no obvious flaws, good stems, pretty look and classic attractive design, briar is heavier than in Petersons. The weakest spot is the finish. On my both Bruyere pipes, which are supposed to be premium, sticky gummy-like lacquer developed numerous bubbly blisters right at the first smoke, although I didn't puff at them any hotter than at the Jockey Club pipes, finished with a sturdier kind of laquer, which didn't suffer at all. Had to remove the finish, then to sand and restain the pipes, was very disappointed. I've heard they're made in Spain now.

A Parker Jockey Club Zulu 42 is one of my favourite "workhorse" pipes, I love it, a very comfortable clencher. For about $35, a very nice pipe to have - if you don't expect it to be "a Peterson" or "a Dunhill" for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
  • Love

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Parker is about twelve years old, not a classic Parker, and not new. It's a slightly bent blast poker. It's light weight with an ample bowl. My only complaint is that its draw is a little tight. I may give it deep clean to see if that helps. If I did a culling of the herd right now, it might not make the cut, but it is a pretty good pipe, just not up to most of my others.

If I recall, Cup O'Joes used to sell both new Parker and Hardcastle pipes, but I haven't seen them in online retail for years. Iwan Ries used to offer Hardcastles with brass bands for less than $40.

A good Britwood pipe I like a lot is Britannia. Mine is a double-bore stem slightly bent smooth Dublin that smokes great and cleans up easily, passing a pipe cleaner on both bores. The sales guy at Tinder Box said it "might be" a Dunhill second; I didn't believe a word of it, but it's a good pipe.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
My impression is that the new British-made Hardcastles are better made than Parkers (f.ex., my Parker Bent Bulldog's shank is somewhat warped, as if they stretched and slightly twisted it, while the Hardcastle Bulldog cut is impeccable), although Hardcastles don''t look as elegant.

Last edited:

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
A Parker Jockey Club Zulu 42 is one of my favourite "workhorse" pipes, I love it, a very comfortable clencher. For about $35, a very nice pipe to have - if you don't expect it to be "a Peterson" or "a Dunhill" for a fraction of the price.
Thanks for the input. Yep - it was that pipe that I went for - I just liked the Jockey Club stain much better. And definitely wasn't looking for "a Peterson" or "a Dunhill" for the fraction of the price. It was the Parker I wanted. Just thought their zulu was a nice interpretation of the style. Looking forward to it arriving.

Reactions: cersono

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Now for how it smokes - I let you know after a couple of bowls, (took the stinger out). Looks beautiful though! Just no bag to go with it.

Attachments

• 20230804_155425.jpg
    20230804_155425.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230804_155051.jpg
    20230804_155051.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230804_155116.jpg
    20230804_155116.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 10

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Congrats!
Does it have an oval stem, I can't see for sure?
It looks a bit different than my two JC 42. Mine have round stems and thicker bowl walls and stampings on the sides, not underneath. They must have changed the model a bit in the last 10 years.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
If you will forgive me, this is a little off subject, but the Parkers in the photos remined me of something. In the early 80s I bought 3 or 4 dozen Hardcastle pipes made in the 50s, from a shop in Murfreesboro, TN.. They were new in the box and were all smooths in standard English shapes... just like those Parkers. I remember I sold them for $20. each. And, in case you're wondering, no, I don't have any more! puffy

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Congrats!
Does it have an oval stem, I can't see for sure?
It looks a bit different than my two JC 42. Mine have round stems and thicker bowl walls and stampings on the sides, not underneath. They must have changed the model a bit in the last 10 years.
Thanks! Yep - oval stem. I would've liked the stamping better on the side, but so far, I really like it. For clenchers it's a good choice - it's really light. Just breaking it in for the moment, but so far - I'm really pleased with my choice.