PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I set out the tobacco on a disposable coffee filter and check it until it’s at the desired dryness. Easy to check the moisture / dryness and smoke when ready.

If you’re going to dry a lot just put the excess into a ziplock bag, I sometimes do this if I’m going to smoke several pipes in the next few days but generally I just do a pipe or two at a time since I like to mix up the routine with many different blends.

If it’s too dry or you took out too much, put it back in the jar and the moisture will equalize with the rest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not very advanced, but I leave a few pipe bowls full in a pottery bowl in my smoking area, or occasionally will just pack a pipe or two and leave it/them overnight. Most of my smokes come right out of the jar or tin and burn just fine, though I live in a somewhat humid area (N.C.). The leaf in the open bowl is fine for days, maybe because of my locale. I've always done more drying than hydrating.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I usually just take a big pinch, 4 or 5 bowls worth, out of the jar and spread it on a surface (usually a glass-bottom ashtray I keep clean for this purpose) and just smoke. The first bowl is usually pretty wet, and that's fine. I just keep packing from the same pile and it gets dryer and dryer for every bowl, the last usually nearly bone dry. I can't say I enjoy the smoke more or less at any particular dryness level, you just gotta pack every one a bit different.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
I mason jar almost all of my tobaccos. I leave the lid off to dry the top of the tobacco and then rotate a bit in said jar until the moisture is as dry as I would like. I do this will all styles of cuts.

Other times I do have a small plate on my desk for drying as well. I set out how much I want to smoke, rotate around until properly dry. If I am looking to speed up some drying I set the plate on a speaker right up next to a box fan that is in my window. I always have the fan forcing air/smoke out the window (on as low a setting as I can get but it's still a bit too fast/loud for me) so that smoke does not go into the rest of the house for the most part.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

There's some pretty good stuff in here from the gurus. I guess they used to sell tobacco dyers. I catch hell, anytime my heater isnt running.