Heat and Humidity Affecting Outdoor Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Title edited for capitalization and brevity.

We are experiencing a stretch of 90°-100° with 80%+ humidity. I smoked a couple of cigars while doing outdoor things, kayaking, hiking, and by the end of the smoke they were a soggy, tunneling mess.

Because it's basically unbearable to sit outside I haven't smoked a pipe in a week or so. How does pipe tobacco fare in such conditions?

Last edited by a moderator:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
We are experiencing a stretch of 90°-100° with 80%+ humidity. I smoked a couple of cigars while doing outdoor things, kayaking, hiking, and by the end of the smoke they were a soggy, tunneling mess.

Because it's basically unbearable to sit outside I haven't smoked a pipe in a week or so. How does pipe tobacco fare in such conditions?
I live in South Louisiana. The weather conditions you are experiencing is day-to-day life down here from May through mid-October.

I cope with it by smoking my pipe either before 10:00 am or after 4:00 or 5:00 pm. I also sit under a nice shade tree and hope we have a breeze blowing.

Since I keep my pipe tobacco inside the house, I haven't noticed the conditions affecting the pipe tobacco. I don't let my pipe sit long enough after packing before lighting it. I also haven't noticed an increase in moisture or dottle in the bottom of the bowl.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Most of the time I smoke indoors, but I usually find myself smoking outside during the warmer periods tending to plants. I can’t say I notice too much of a change but I’m a little bit of a wet smoker so the humidity probably doesn’t do anything more than my mouth is already doing.

Start off with your tobacco dry. That should help.

Reactions: AreBee

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA

Yeah it was like low to mid 90s with high humidity here in Southwest, CT last week but I didn't have any issues with tunneling/soggy Cigars while I was outside smoking. Granted I wasn't hiking or kayaking, I like to just relax when I enjoy tobacco and not do physical activity, other then fly fishing with a cob in my mouth out of my uncles fishing lodge on the Farmington River (I barely count fly fishing as "physical activity")

The only issue I have with pipe tobacco in high humidity is that there's some blends I like to dry out and it just doesn't happen in the summer time here. So I smoke whatever's the most dry out of my jars until the fall/winter. Other then that I've been smoking as I have been through this spring/summer with no issues.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve never had an issue with cigars and high humidity…

Pipe tobacco is kind of a different story.

I’ll dry my tobacco til it’s crispy, then stuff it in a bowl. Microwave helps on really humid days. Otherwise the moisture imparted by the humid air quickly tends to make the tobacco in the chamber into a humid, smoldering mess.

AreBee

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Yeah it was like low to mid 90s with high humidity here in Southwest, CT last week but I didn't have any issues with tunneling/soggy Cigars while I was outside smoking. Granted I wasn't hiking or kayaking, I like to just relax when I enjoy tobacco and not do physical activity, other then fly fishing with a cob in my mouth out of my uncles fishing lodge on the Farmington River (I barely count fly fishing as "physical activity")

The only issue I have with pipe tobacco in high humidity is that there's some blends I like to dry out and it just doesn't happen in the summer time here. So I smoke whatever's the most dry out of my jars until the fall/winter. Other then that I've been smoking as I have been through this spring/summer with no issues.
Yeah, I think that was part of it, while hiking and or kayaking, the cigar is rarely out of my mouth.

I'm just up the road from you in west/central CT. My kayak trip was 10 miles down the Farmington River from Farmington to Simsbury.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I can tolerate the heat and humidity while smoking, though it does make it less enjoyable, but the real annoyance of the hot and humid summers here in Minnesota is having to be more picky about what I smoke since drying tobacco is nearly impossible. During the spring, autumn, and winter I can rub out a fairly wet flake and let it sit out to dry for 10 or 15 minutes and it'll be good to go, but during the summer I can leave it sit out for hours and it hardly dries at all. That means I basically have to select blends that are at the right moisture level for smoking straight out of the jar, and pass over anything that needs drying time until the autumn rolls around.

Reactions: AreBee and mpjetset

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017

I can't say for others, but for me, pipes are just not as enjoyable in extreme heat. When we visit Mexico I may enjoy a pipe in the early am or in the evening. During the day, it's cigars. The worst for me was Cancun though. Hot and humid. Cabos San Lucas, being more moderate was temperate enough that a pipe during the day was ok.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
In the desert, our highs are now routinely 110F. I like to smoke a pipe after lunch, but in this heat I have been limiting to 1/2 bowls. My evening outdoor smokes have also been moving later into the 9pmish range to compensate for the heat. I don't mind smoking when it's hot, I just mind being out for long periods when it's hot. :)

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I went a couple weeks without smoking a pipe.
The last few days have only been in the high 70s with mid 60% humidity, so I have smoked one pipe a day.
It seems to be cooling off a bit, we will see.
Im outside all day tending to our farm and livestock.
The LAST thing I want is to sit still and puff a pipe when its over 90 degrees.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
It requires continual adaptation in the Arkansas River Valley and I'm outside for the activity 90%+ of the time when it's not winter. Even then, I'm outside 50% or more. Regular practice helps, but while I envy those who enjoy their pipe indoors without battling the various elements, I understand their challenge of trying to figure it out for the small % they're outdoors.

In other words - it gets easier with practice.

Reactions: mpjetset and AreBee

mpjetset

Might Stick Around
You can do it - get wet. Take a shower, or quick dip in the pool/ocean/lake/river and then a shower, every few hours depending on how oppressive it gets.

Stay wet - those in the know wear fishing shirt material here in SE Florida, even to the office (with a tie when necessary), so even if I can't get in water I can find a sink to splash myself pretty well knowing that I'll dry in no time. Soak the sides of your head and neck. Short hair is a plus.

Retain your cool - I switch to cobs and dry VAs, drink a lot of water/tea/cofffee/beer, and take advantage of any breeze. Hot tea and coffee don't seem to make me feel hotter. Shade only, of course, but a big straw hat works too. I'll even smoke a cob in the pool with a termos full of cold beer for a half-hour (in cob-time), now that the kids aren't likely to join me anymore.

Slow down - don't fight it. Finally, I was a desert and surf rat in Southern California befor moving to the SE US with the Marines, and thought I was going to die at first. I found that the slow-talking old-school southerners had a way of talking and moving with less effort which didn't generate as much heat.

Those are my strategies, and I've smoked outside almost every day over the last three weeks. "After kids" (almost) it might be the best smoking of my life. Good smoking!