Heat and Humidity Affecting Outdoor Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The worst thing for me, wind and humidity. I don't usually smoke outdoors. I need peace of mind to smoke, otherwise I would go for days without smoking. The same thing happens to me with reading, or even to taste a distillate.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Here in the Pacific Northwest, we get a fair amount of humidity, but I've never really noticed it affecting my pipe tobacco unlike my cigars. On the real hot and humid days, if I'm having a cigar I can run into re-light issues, or burn issues etc. When it's really hot and humid I don't normally smoke a pipe, so if I do it's usually early morning or late evening when the temps are cooler. Don't care for the feel of the warm pipe in my hands when it's hot out.

Reactions: AreBee

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Lots of good suggestions here. I usually have a cigar if I am active during the day or working with the horses. In the heat here in middle Tennessee, I usually wait until after the evening feeding and then I sit on my back deck (which is covered) and I have a small fan that I turn on that moves the air a bit. So far, I have been comfortable enough to get in at least that one bowl per day.

AreBee

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Here in the Pacific Northwest, we get a fair amount of humidity, but I've never really noticed it affecting my pipe tobacco unlike my cigars. On the real hot and humid days, if I'm having a cigar I can run into re-light issues, or burn issues etc. When it's really hot and humid I don't normally smoke a pipe, so if I do it's usually early morning or late evening when the temps are cooler. Don't care for the feel of the warm pipe in my hands when it's hot out.
This is where I’m coming from. Burn issues or multiple relights with a cigar. It’s not a case of tolerating the heat physically, but if I have to struggle, it’s not relaxing. I thought high humidity could affect the burn of pipe tobacco, especially aromatics I enjoy that have a higher moisture content due to the presence of cavendish.