How Come We Don't See Anyone Joining From Algeria?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It seems, with their history, there might be some who would be interested. Maybe internet connection is not readily available? It seems we see enough Algerian Briar often enough. Are the all pre-independence?

Reactions: kcghost

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I don’t have a clue about islam in Algeria, so looked up Wikipedia. 99 percentage of Algerian are Sunni Muslims of the Maliki, one of the four mainstream Sunni schools, and they banned tobacco smoking. “Fatwas ruling that smoking is impermissible have been issued by sheikhs of all four Sunni schools of fiqh—Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali—as well as by those of the Ibadi sect.[4]“

And as we all know, they are not very amused by western cultures, even burn US stars n stripes on a regular basis, as well as french tricolour, remember the Charlie Hebdo attacks and uproar on Mohammed caricatures.? They aren’t interested if a Peterson or the next Dunhill are smoking well/ not so well and what the next flake is all about, if they could get those at all.

Pipe smoking is for sure a colonial thing to them. Despite tobacco bans Hookah smoking is deeply rooted in their culture.

And on top you cannot know how and if the world wide web works in Algeria. Even from South Africa I only could dial up the site via a VPN.

But not only Algerian smokers are missing, most of the world isn’t interested in US pipe smoking habits.

Last edited:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Hmmm... Doesn't this site automatically Google Translate posts which we view on our end here in the USA into English from people who post from foreign countries and in a foreign (to us) language - and alternately, translate our English language posts into the native language of the country where the site is being accessed from?

If not, maybe doing so might really explode international membership and activity.

Frankly, I'd love to make some tabak internet-friends from exotic-sounding places like: Togo, New Caledonia, Liechtenstein, and, Bat Cave, NC.

According to Statista.com:
The tobacco smoking rate in Algeria stood at around 15 percent as of 2020. The prevalence of tobacco smoking was higher among men, with a rate of nearly 30 percent. In contrast, only less than one percent of the female population smoke tobacco in the country. - Feb 2023

- Sherm "
International" Natman

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Hmmm... Doesn't this site automatically Google Translate posts which we view on our end here in the USA into English from people who post from foreign countries and in a foreign (to us) language - and alternately, translate our English language posts into the native language of the country where the site is being accessed from?

If not, maybe doing so might really explode international membership and activity.

Frankly, I'd love to make some tabak internet-friends from exotic-sounding places like: Togo, New Caledonia, Liechtenstein, and, Bat Cave, NC.

The tobacco smoking rate in Algeria stood at around 15 percent as of 2020. The prevalence of tobacco smoking was higher among men, with a rate of nearly 30 percent. In contrast, only less than one percent of the female population smoke tobacco in the country. - Feb 2023

- Sherm "
International" Natman

No, this site doesn’t translate anything. My English would have been better. And Google is only one engine of several. And it uses country specific algorithms if you choose.

And no, not every browser translates automatically, even my safari browser, if people over there have an internet access at all. And it’s all up to what you are looking for.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

- Sherm "
International" Natman
I think the mods may be editing posts that are not in English using a translator.

Reactions: shermnatman