PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I know it's silly, but I prefer my pipes not to smell like a ferret's bung hole.
Indeed, good Sir ... Indeed!
d1ff7f468b4f1d5ae71a0d02edea39cc-d7xrr5l.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I started a thread a few months ago on a few of my pipes that tasted like ash. I was informed of a retort. After grabbing one off ebay and using it on said pipes they are back in the rotation. Enjoy that ash taste because mine get a retort treatment when needed. And yes I run pipe cleaners thru after each smoke. I guess if I was smoking a bowl a week thru them pipe cleaners would do me ok too.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobguy,
I am gobsmacked!
Lol ... love that word! :mrgreen:
As for the OP, I don't know what else to say.

Perhaps you have a vast rotation of pipes and/or only smoke a couple bowls a week?

If you smoke often, you WILL need to clean with something or suffer the above mentioned ferret bung flavor.

I set aside some time every few months or so to break down my pipes and giving them all a good cleaning. I typically run a couple of cleaners through them after each smoke and ream them well with a paper towel. So, my deep clean doesn't really kick up much of a mess. It's more of a therapy. I'll also take my pocketknife to some thicker caked pipes that have gotten a little too unruly. But, for the most part, it's just a process. They really don't need it, no matter how hard core I've smoked them.
It just gives me peace of mind, like keeping my firearms well maintained. I know that when I grab one, that's it's ready to go.
Funny, my workhorses on the rack have charred rims, dents from being beaten on stumps or boot heels. But, they are clean and deliver an awesome smoke. And, no one has had a good beating at my house, ever. :wink:

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I try my best to swab out with 151 after about 10-15 smokes. It's alot of work, since I've only got about 12 or 13 pipes I smoke regularly, but my smoking experience really suffers if theyre not cleaned. That being said, if a pipe starts tasting foul, I just don't smoke it, or its dedicated blend, until I've got a couple more ready to be cleaned. As for polishing, I haven't done much to any of mine. I plan on setting up a buffer in the next month or two, but most of my pipes are dull

K

klause

jorgesoler, I'm pretty much in your area of doing things - just run a few cleaners through it until they come out clean, pop it on the shelf, and forget about it until the next time.
However, I do think a clean pipe allows me to taste the tobacco much more than a dirty pipe. That first smoke through a freshly cleaned estate is usually the one that tells me most about where me and the pipe are going.
A member on another forum did an experiment to see how not cleaning his pipe affected his smoking experience - if I remember correctly he did over 100 smokes without using a pipe cleaner etc and reported no discernable deterioration in his enjoyment.
The old cliche rings true, again, its a very personal thing, the pipe, and whatever floats your boat is all that really matters ;-)

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Good for you, I wouldn't put that anywhere my hole, but everyone to his own taste as the lady who kissed the cow said.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have found that "ash tray" is not a flavor I am drawn to.
From resent conversations, it seems my wife is not fond of it either.
So me and the pipe get a pretty good cleaning when conditions dictate.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,

that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,

that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
I haven't got any issues with this quote, but to talk about natural rights is the same as talking about natural interest rates: this is totally nonsense. All rights are rather contractual and not inalienable. You cannot claim a murderer, for instance, has the same right to liberty, life and property as a law abiding citizen.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
blueeyedogre wrote:

bubbleheaddiver wrote:

hypocrite, what happened to the thread you started with relation to domestic abuse and a dirty pipe
My question is, what happened to the forum rule against direct personal attacks. I've been accused of coming off as harsh but I don't hold a candle to some of you guys. This is just childish name calling and bully behavior in my opinion. You don't have to like this guy's posts, or even the guy himself but at least try to be adult about it.
Mr. Godbee wrote:

No Rudeness or Personal Attacks
10. While we honor passionate and informed discussion we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
'Rudeness' means deliberately discourteous comments directed at another member. 'Insulting posts' are those that treat another member with deliberate rudeness and contempt. 'Purposeless inflammatory posts' are posts that are designed purely to provoke a reaction and cause an unpleasant argument.
Such behaviour is not tolerated here.
We take a very firm line on these forums regarding personal attacks, so it is important for all members to understand the difference between disagreeing with the content of another member's posts, and making a personal attack on someone.
Our definition of a 'personal attack' includes:
attacking a member's motivation for a post

attacking a member's character

referring to a member in a contemptuous manner

belittling a member using sarcasm

making negative or rude statements about administrators or moderators

attacking people or groups based on race, age, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
Disagreeing with comments made in another member's post does not constitute a personal attack. Members are allowed to refute the comments of other members and provide reasons why they don't agree. A member may also choose to contradict a comment and provide very little evidence to support their comments, and this does not count as a personal attack either. When a member chooses to attack the author of a post rather than the content of the post, that is a personal attack. Please keep your focus on the facts of the topic under discussion - not on the person with whom you disagree.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Thanks for that mate. Samcoffeeman is also insulting me in my own language (Jorge, eres tonto, cállate: George, shut up, you are a retard), but I have a very thick skin. I don't know how many times I apologized in the other thread they are referring to for putting my foot in my mouth, but it seems like some people won't let go of it. I must have struck a deep cord there, but it is not me who has a bee on his bonnet about it. And the entries about "rimming my hole" are so rude I don't think it is worth commenting on them (they speak for themselves). Besides, they are twisting my words as I never said "hole" but "cake."

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have about 20 - 25 pipes I use on a regular basis but my preference is to run a bristle pipe cleaner dipped in clean and cure through the stem and draught hole monthly and even after regularly running a pipe cleaner through after a smoke, the amount of gunk that the dipped bristled pipe cleaner removes turns the pipe cleaner black, usually takes a few of these each per pipe each month. I find if I don't do this my stems taste like crap even after only having half a dozen bowls in that pipe each month. I'm predominantly an aromatic smoker, don't know if this changes anything as I don't go for goopy tobacco's. But I guess the moisture and tar generated in each bowl can be nasty.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Yes, I have admitted to the fact I run pipe cleaners through the stem too (even the shaft), but I don't dip them in alcohol. When I get too much condensation in the shaft I use toilet roll, but I don't see the point in using any abrasives or alcohol.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
And the entries about "rimming my hole" are so rude I don't think it is worth commenting on them (they speak for themselves). Besides, they are twisting my words as I never said "hole" but "cake."
LOL, well in all fairness, I think they were trying to convey humor.
Personally I don't agree with some of your views but I certainly respect your right to have your own opinion, just as much as I have a right to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.