PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Apart from rimming the cake, I don´t clean my pipes, ever.
mortapoker_zps6bcced10.jpg

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
That's funny I seem to recall a different thread where you were commenting quite the opposite, and some found it quite insulting.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
It's almost like you are trolling...
I usually can tell and individual's personality by how he treats his pipes. Sometimes I see people smoking in damaged pipes with burnt rims, partially broken, dirty, scratched, etc.
Here is the post
*Grabs popcorn, packs bowl, and refreshes thread waiting for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to begin*

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
That's funny I seem to recall a different thread where you were commenting quite the opposite, and some found it quite insulting.
I think you are mistaken. The other post was about charred/burnt rims, which is a different subject.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I think I've got your point here.
You take such good care of your pipes that they look almost new even without cleaning ... right?
Mine all look smoked and used ... some much more than others! :)

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I like polishing my stems and bowls, but that has nothing to do with cleaning the inside. Some people use alcohol and what not, but I find this practice useless: I don't want my pipes to taste like surgical stuff.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Some people use alcohol and what not
Only down the stem as this will not only help clean debris but also sanitize.
Trust me, I work with microorganisms and you want to use SOMETHING.
91% Isopropyl will leave no flavors once dried, neither will Everclear.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Not again....by far one of the least productive threads was the dreaded "Burnt rims and wanton violence" mess. In fact it was worse. New users here may have gotten the wrong idea of PM's forums reading that vitriol. In fact in my opinion it should be deleted.
*Grabs popcorn, packs bowl, and refreshes thread waiting for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to begin*
I'll pass on giving the Originator what he seeks and I hope for the most part others do as well

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I am only after debating some ideas. And I think this is worth giving it a go, for a perfectly clean pipe tastes like hot air (no pun indented).

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I'll pass on giving the Originator what he seeks and I hope for the most part others do as well
Sorry I couldn't resist.
I usually can tell and individual's personality by how he treats his pipes. Sometimes I see people smoking in damaged pipes with burnt rims, partially broken, dirty, scratched, etc.
Would you look at that? quoted from the post I was referring to...the word dirty...hmmmmmm.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Would you look at that? quoted from the post I was referring to...the word dirty...hmmmmmm.
A pipe cleaner is good enough to keep unwanted dirt, or moist, at bay. You all know I mean "the use of abrasives" inside of your bowl or stem.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Apart from rimming the cake, I don´t clean my pipes, ever.
I prefer rimming stuff other than my pipes.
To answer your question: two to five pipe cleaners after a smoke, then the pipe rests for a while. I keep the cake neat and close, so I ream with some regularity. Each of my pipes gets at least one deep clean with 195 proof a year, and sometimes more, depending on how often I smoke that particular pipe.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
A pipe cleaner or four after every smoke and then once every two or three months I'll take everything apart and clean stems, draught holes, tenon, and the space where the tenon and mortise seat on each other. I'll also wipe the whole pipe down with a soft cloth after each smoke. Finger oil and spit drying on a warm pipe means less polish and deep cleaning later down the road.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
People have their preferences. Mine is for a clean pipe. I clean my pipe at the end of a day's use, and that includes taking it apart so that I can clean out the mortise. I'll clean out the stem airway with alcohol, but I only do a deep cleaning once or twice a year, depending on how much use the pipe has seen. I know it's silly, but I prefer my pipes not to smell like a ferret's bung hole.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
A pipe cleaner after smoke and then fold and swab the bowl to remove any loose junk then a quick wipe of the exterior with a cloth to remove oils from my hand etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.