PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
It's a deal for two reasons. 4 years of age will provide 75% of more of the benefits of aging. Second, it's relative to the price of fresh tins as of today. Relative to the price two years ago? Not much of a deal. Unfortunately, my time machine is out of service at this time.
Fair enough. If you want Capstan, getting pre-aged tins for near the same price as fresh is a deal.

Relative to other brands, many of which I prefer over Capstan, the price of Capstan is not a deal. I like Capstan Blue. I'd pay the extra bit for that one. Capstan Gold, to me, is a middle of the road bright virginia blend. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd rather have a bowl of HH Pure Virginia. As always, taste is subjective so YMMV.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Fair enough. If you want Capstan, getting pre-aged tins for near the same price as fresh is a deal.

Relative to other brands, many of which I prefer over Capstan, the price of Capstan is not a deal. I like Capstan Blue. I'd pay the extra bit for that one. Capstan Gold, to me, is a middle of the road bright virginia blend. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd rather have a bowl of HH Pure Virginia. As always, taste is subjective so YMMV.
Agreed. I used to not favor these two so much but with age, they have grown on me, especially the gold. Which is why I'm buying some up now, I didn't get much previously. I managed to buy a fair amount of the blue from Estervals a few years back at a bargain price.

Not only is taste subjective, it can change a bit over time.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I ordered a set last year. The tin of yellow is actually from 2013. Score! Still haven’t opened them yet though. Hence, I didn’t jump this year. Betting the Three Nuns set is next…
Yep, me too. 1 tin of 2013 yellow.
I’d love to see more of this, especially with C&D tobacco. It’s a huge help for us newbs building a cellar.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Too rich for my blood. Well that's not entirely true. I'm just a cheap son of a bitch who would rather get 100g of something just as good or better for the price of 50g of Capstan.

Don't get me wrong, Capstan is alright. Great even. Just nothing special compared to everything else out there.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I think it's a rather fair price for the four tins being pre-aged--and the fact that the new tins cost basically the same. Are the ones here complaining about the price the same ones who didn't like the price of the special edition Christmas plum pudding that sold out in a couple hours? If you like aged Virginia I'd say you'd be wise to snag one of these sets. Especially if you don't have any aged to smoke now.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Capstan has been a blend on my list in the past, but I can’t justify these prices for a tin, and I don’t get why these don’t sell for more like $13 a tin. C&D, G.L. Pease and many others sell 2oz tins for less.

I thought Mac Baren blends this, and MB sells many blends at 3.5 oz for around $14.

And then some of the MB HH blends in 1.75 oz tins a little over $12.

hmm 🤔

95F47FB0-A729-4E1B-AEA0-F8734992E8B6.png

I would think, that to some smokers, these three are just as nice for less.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
For as long as I remember, Capstan has sold for $3 or $4 more than other similar blends.
You are absolute correct. Capstan has always sold for a higher price than the equivalent blends that have been listed throughout the duration of this thread including other virginia based blends produced by Mac Baren's.

I, like you, very much agree that this is a great deal if you like Capstan. If you don't, then to my thinking, this wouldn't interest you regardless of price.

Jason

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The older/aged tins are certainly a better deal, and then when everyone sees this, like Marketing never considered that people are now going to look at new tin prices and go, ok, not so good.

Also, I don’t get why they didn’t offer these tins individually, I think as single tins, they might of sold already.

I’ve never smoked these, but I would of bought a tin each to try, not four.

This also comes across as strange marketing, where you need to buy four tins to get the deal. hmm 🤔

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The older/aged tins are certainly a better deal, and then when everyone sees this, like Marketing never considered that people are now going to look at new tin prices and go, ok, not so good.

Also, I don’t get why they didn’t offer these tins individually, I think as single tins, they might of sold already.

I’ve never smoked these, but I would of bought a tin each to try, not four.

This also comes across as strange marketing, where you need to buy four tins to get the deal. hmm 🤔
People package deals to move product. To achieve their own goals. I'm guessing they want to move the ready rubbed versions. If they sold individual tins, that would stymie the sale of their fresh tins. Who knows? All you need to know is that everyone markets to achieve their own agenda, not ours. When the two happen to align, a sale is made.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm willing to pay a little more for something I don't have "cellared" - as the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band sang in two versions of the same great song, "there wasn't nigh as many as there was awhile ago!"
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band?

How about "The Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton.

• Love
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus