PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Yes clenching for me has nothing to do with how dry my pipes smoke. But as most know, I like my tobacco CRISPY CRUNCHY DRY.

I started out clenching only at the button, with the pipe just floating there. Now I tend to push it back farther between my middle molars.

I clench because it looks like I know what I'm doing( but i dont).
View attachment 323492

Also because it's just easier than worrying about holding the pipe. With my daughter, and 2 dogs, I need my hands readily available.
The look that says "a Boeing flew over and that thing fell off, crashed down right here. Can you believe it?"

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No drool, no bite marks on stems. (Clenching is a poor term as some take it to mean you have to clamp down on the stem. No!!)

Please put your location in your Profile!
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
I prefer not to clench. I despise chatter!
However certain pipes I have exclusively for clenching when riding the mowers, washing the cars, throwing darts etc. etc.
Usually Authors and Small Pokers. These pipes get the snot beat out of them though and that’s their purpose. I clench at the 10 O'clock
Position with the button at the teeth.
Don’t concentrate on it and you’ll pick it up and fix any issues automatically over time.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Clenching" for me means the pipe rests between my molars, jaw usually at rest so no teeth marks. But, I have broken a bit or two over the years when involved in strenuous activity, hauling logs, pushing a car and such. It's a tool for delivering nicotine not some sort of pristine artifact to be revered. But, that's just my opinion. I take reasonable care and do the maintenance but, they ain't worshiped as a rule. There are three exceptions in my collection though.

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
With my teeth.....
Cuz I like to.....

OK
There are actual benefits to breathing through the nose, and clenching will promote that, and at a better pace, if not overly active at the moment.
I began with the common position on either side, but felt subtle changes and pressures in my teeth and TMJ's that I didn't prefer, and had concerns about long-term stress if I continued. Now I hold it directly in front and I don't get those subtle symptoms.
I'm almost exclusively using a bent P-lip and that works for me. I'm also almost always outdoors, and much of that time is walking around on my grounds in the evening.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I think the drool down the stem issue, as well as retrohale, etc., will come with practice. Kinda like riding a bike with no hands. All of a sudden, you've mastered it.....

Reactions: JOHN72

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I clench because I need my fingers to talk to you guys!
I hold the pipe just behind the button, no further.
Never noticed any moisture down the shank.
I know guys who deep throat the dang thing!! :)

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I almost never clench i enjoy the feel of a pipe in my hand ... my own pipe.. no not THAT kind of pipe, Jesus you're all a bunch of 10 yr olds!!!
I love the feeling I get with my pipe in my hand, which is one of the primary reasons I clench.

Two kinds of men in the world: ones that do, and ones that lie about not doing😆

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
There is the matter of how you clench as well, if the pipe is angled down much more of a chance to drool down the stem, nothing as gross as sucking up your own drool mixed with whatever goop is in the stem, i find IF i do clench the pipe is more at an upward angle which removes that nasty side effect.