PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Cigars outside only. Cigarettes also, though I quit them long ago.
Pipes I prefer indoors, but occasionally back porch or front balcony, daylight only, if weather is not too hot/cold/windy.

Reactions: JOHN72

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I started pipes smoking 10 yrs ago. Since then I have vacillated between smoking inside or only smoking outside.
I was a hair's breadth from death less than 2 yrs ago and my perspective has changed on the subject.
I smoke both inside and out. I live alone.
Lunting is a big part of my experience, but sitting in front of my computer and surfing the web is too. Whenever possible, I will take the pute out on the screen porch, but the heat here in Ocala, FL has been consistently in the 'feels like' range of 100 degrees or more, lately.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow- free sauna! :).

Weren't you the clever chap that ran a series of tobacco tastings called something like "tobacco crawl"? Regardless, it was well done and doubtless a lot of work.

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I usually smoke my pipe indoors to avoid the wind, of it's calm and a nice day I will smoke on the front porch or the back deck. I smoke cigars outdoors only so I don't flood the house with smoke. I have an air purifier in the living room that can easily remove any residual odors from smoking a pipe. The wife doesn't mind because she smokes pipes and cigars as well 👍

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I smoke outside pretty exclusively, I've got a nice balcony to sit on. When I got my house the previous owner was an indoor cigarette smoker and after removing all the carpet and repainting the walls with odor eating paint it still sometimes stinks like stale smoke when it's about to rain. So yeah I'll keep it outside, I'm from the Midwest in fine with sitting outside in a blizzard.

thebriarbear

Lurker
Aug 15, 2024
New York City
Here in NYC where I can’t afford to buy a place, I am forced to smoke outside.

Sometimes that means a fire escape smoke (don’t tell my landlord), standing in front of my apartment building bracing the oncoming scorn of passersby who think I’m a drug addict, or in the park about as far away from another human as I can get. I could go for a lunt now I guess but it takes the slow out of smoking for me.

I think my lease should be up soon…🤔

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here in NYC where I can’t afford to buy a place, I am forced to smoke outside.

Sometimes that means a fire escape smoke (don’t tell my landlord), standing in front of my apartment building bracing the oncoming scorn of passersby who think I’m a drug addict, or in the park about as far away from another human as I can get. I could go for a lunt now I guess but it takes the slow out of smoking for me.

I think my lease should be up soon…🤔
Manhattan? I used to live in the West Village, and then E. 64th St.

WirelessSmoke

Lurker
Jul 14, 2024
New England
I've been enjoying this pastime for a bit less than a year now, and all of my pipe smoking has been outdoors. I just don't yet have the desire to smoke in the house. I understand it may not be as bad as cigarette smoke, but I don't really want the stale scent lingering in the house, or getting into any of my gear. If I had a good place to sit and enjoy a pipe where I could evacuate the smoke efficiently, I would certainly give it a go. I don't believe my wife would care if I could pull that off.

I do plan on carving out some space in my shed so I can enjoy a bowl on a rainy day, so that might be about as close as it gets for me for now. This winter I may be tempted to experiment with smoking by the fireplace with a good fire going. I'm curious if the draft will be strong enough to pull most my pipe smoke in and up the chimney.