PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
You think the blend name is long? They've apparently changed it recently. Now, its called Nothing Quite Like That First Pipe of the Day. A mouthful eh? I placed a small TAD order earlier in the week with House of Calabash and received my blends yesterday. This "First Pipe..." blend contains Burley, Virginia and Turkish leaves. According to Mr. Books' description, the Burley and Turkish have been aged 40+ years. As to the legitimacy of this claim, eh, I don't know. The man has been blending since his preteen years. Assuming these leaves have in fact been aged that long, I just don't really know how that translates to my smoking experience.
The blend itself ranges from light/medium brown to a very light tan/sand color. The aroma is very much Burley-dominated, and has what I can only describe as the "House of Calabash" aroma. All of their blends have a certain something in the taste and smell that is similar, but I just can't pin it down. Maybe it's their extensive use of well-aged tobaccos? I'm too green at this to say for sure.
The blends come a bit humid, perfect in my opinion. I packed a bowl if this in my normal fashion, and the tobacco was nice and springy. Without any drying time, it took to light up very easily and stayed lit on the true light. The blend burns cool and without bite, even with some overeager puffing. The Burley and Turkish are the major players here. The Virginias must be a "fill in" on this blend, or im simply not noticing them. The Burley displays your typical dry woodsy characteristic, but it feels richer, deeper, and coats the mouth. The Turkish displays an exotic spice that pops in and out in the aftertaste and the exhale. The bowl burned down to a speckled white and dark gray ash, no significant dottle.
Once again im pleased with what the House of Calabash has to offer. The blend is indeed a good "First Pipe", possessing the dry easy-going taste profile that is nice in the morning. Im very much enjoying all the blends I've purchased from the House of Calabash. I definitely recommend this blend. Thanks for reading 8)

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
I've never tried a House of Calabash and unlikely that I will for the foreseeable future since they're based in the states (import tax is too high in the UK).
But sounds a wonderful blend, the legitimacy of the 40 years ageing is questionable, but regardless it sounds a good smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.