PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
The tobacco shop I frequent has both. House blend and tinned tobacco. I see a lot of post about tins on this forum. Having never tried one from a tin, is there a big difference?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
They're airtight, so they should be just as fresh as when they were tinned Plus they will keep for basicly forever as long as the tin doesn't rust or the seal isn't broken. Some tins have paper in them, which can absorb moisture

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
But just because a blend is in a tin and is from a big company that doesn't make it better then a house blend. house blends can be very good. I love this English blend from Paul's Pipe Shop called Darwin Asa. It's one of my favorites

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I have viewed bulk house blends as everyday smokes and I have some that I love the Tins I view as Candy or desert something a little extra special and I have had some I have not liked.. They both are good, try some, Smoke what ya like seems like a good saying to me

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
In my experience it is usually the case that lower quality tobaccos are used in house blends, and/or the blend is not as refined as something from a tin. There are of course exceptions. It seems like a lot of them are aromatics with heavy toppings, so kinda like candy as opposed to a steak dinner. Try a few tins and see what you think- Lots of good stuff out there. Anything from GL Pease, Gawith, or Esoterica is bound to be pretty good.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My local B&M does not sell tinned tobacco, Tre, but the house blends are from McClelland in nearby Kansas City so life is still pretty good. And just like 85royal wrote, the tinned tobacco is dessert. They will usually be pricier and consequently end up being a special treat.
Tins are fairly new to me and I've picked up a half dozen or so in the last five months. I'm a big fan of Dunhill's "Nightcap" and and really enjoy Samuel Gawith's "Squadron Leader." Both are popular smokes as is McClelland's "Frog Morton" series. Just be careful with your picks. Good B&Ms will have opened tins to sample and that's a great way to find something you'd like to have on hand. If you read about something that sounds good check out the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com or the Pipe Tobacco Reviews forum here. You'll never find a shortage of opinions and, if you end up with something you don't like, you'll always find somebody willing to take it off your hands.
The best thing about these forums is that everybody was a newbie once upon a time. And, like most hobbies, if you're sincere with your questions folks are willing to lend a hand, share some knowledge and make suggestions. (I'm making repairs now to estate pipes I never thought possible.)
I just thought of something. It might be fun to start a thread someday where we swap our favorite house blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
How good house blends are is gonna depend on the shop. Uber mentioned Darwin Asa from Paul's Pipe Shop. Paul's is an old time shop, that does their own blends,and I believe right on the spot. There are other shops like that - some blend on the spot, some have them blended by someone else. Some are big brands like Altadis or McClelland or Lane.

But no matter how good they are, if all you smoke is house blends, you are severely limiting yourself in your pipe smoking experience. Doesn't make it bad - you just need to be aware of that.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Best house blend I've tried is Bishop's Move by Uhle's in I believe Minnesota? You can find them if you google it. It is expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.