PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born for hot. For me, my coat is acclimated to this sultry Alabama beating sun with almost 100F and 100% humidity, so the heat doesn't bother my smoking as much as dry mouth does. I will usually stick my pipe in my pocket when I feel that thirsty feeling hit me, like the inside of my mouth has lost all moisture. But, if I have a glass of something cool to drink the heat doesn't bother me much. I have a favorite spot in the yard with a bunch of bird feeders and frolicking songbirds, shade trees, and a picnic table with an umbrella on it. I usually make my way over there with a cup of something icy and just let my mind drift off with the birds. Birdbrained, I know :wink:

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I don't really change blends so much, just the times that I smoke. In the heat, I tend to smoke my pipe in the early morning and the late evening when it is a bit cooler outside and avoid the heat of the afternoon.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
About 90 here today but about 7 PM it was down to 85 with a gentle breeze and the shadows were across the patio. A nice evening puffing on a pipeful while the dogs played in the yard.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Summer in Mississippi is always hot and humid, so I seem to smoke on the porch in the early morning or early evening. However, if the mood hits me in the middle of the day, I'll pick a house friendly tobacco and light up inside. My wife smokes too so it's not really an issue, but we don't want the house to have an unpleasant odor so we don't do it too much. I'll admit though that I enjoy being outside with a pipe in cooler weather more than anything. It's always nice to find a way that works though, no matter what the weather. :puffy:

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
The other night I had a bowl of my own blend with a glass of lemonade on the back porch. I live in South Carolina and it's been pretty hot here recently, in the mid-90's, which I could do without, but it wasn't too bad. I usually prefer it to be a little more pleasant outside when I smoke.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I live just outside Houston in Sugar Land. During the early spring, late fall and winter I smoke in the garage with the garage door open. During the summer the garage is too hot so I smoke on the patio with a ceiling fan, however, when you have a fan on while smoking a pipe you cannot taste the tobacco since your nose is important to your taste and the fan blows all the smoke away. As a result, I my smoking is cut in half during the summer.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
You can all keep your humidity!! I'm not that big of a heat fan even in a dry climate, but when it comes with moisture count me out!! My wife and I took another visit to New Orleans last November, not too humid, mid 70's. I told my wife it was so nice I could almost see living there. Almost, because I knew it wouldn't be that pleasant in six months!!! Of course, I say this and I'm in the process of moving over the hills out into the valley where 100+ days are not uncommon. I suspect this is a bad idea!
When the temperature starts to climb, I do find simpler tobaccos are nicer. I also tend smoke more Virginias. The rest of the year, I'll take latakia, but not when it starts heating up.

M

mrsal

I personally feel that cigars are a better match for the summer, while spring, fall and winter all command a pipe or two per day.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Heat index here today in this part of Tennessee was 94. I sat on the deck with fan blowing on me, smoking IRC Slices.
I did notice that the heat got to me somewhat. I stopped smoking before finishing the bowl and that doesn't happen often.
Too hot is too hot. But, I'm not complaining, understand. Winter here was brutal. I may have gotten maybe 6 days the entire winter I got to go out on the deck and smoke.
As I've said here before, I can't smoke in the house. My wife has the best nose in the business.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I smoke a pipe in the evening no matter how hot it is. Mrsal is right though a cigar on a sultry night is something I enjoy as well.

Heat verses humidity reminds me of a funny story... If I may decorate the thread a little.
I was two weeks in Tucson a few years ago, I took my pipe. It was wonderful being in 90-100F weather with NO humidity (for the first day). I could actually enjoy being outside without immediately getting drenched in sweat, which is just how we do it in Alabama. I smoked my pipe as we strode about our little corner of the Sonoran Desert. But, that night at about midnight, I woke up unable to process oxygen. My throat was parched to the vocal chords and I couldn't talk, breath, spit...
I crawled to my girlfriend's bag and guzzeled all of the liquids, grapefruit juice (blech), Shasta (blech), (why do chicks drink such lousy concoctions?) anything liquid, and made my way over to the hotel room's little sink and just started breathing in the hot water, inhaling it, through my nose, mouth, eyes.
Thoughts were running through my head, "do I have throat cancer?" "was it the pipe?" "OMG I'm dying."
Then minutes after I could finally gurgle in and out, breathing the water. My girfriend wakes up, coughing, gagging...
It was an "Aha" moment. There was no water in the air. Our Alabama, 100% humidity bodies were rejecting the dry desert air. "This place is uninhabitable," was my conclusion. I immediately went to the nearest drug store and bought a humidifier to run in our room every night. No more problems. Pipe back in hand for the rest of the trip.
But, when we checked out, I turned to look at the room, and everything seemed moist, damp, soupy even, a slice of Alabama. But, it was such a relief to land back in Birmingham, step off the plane, and get hit with that wonderful sultry Alabama air that immediately fogs your glasses, reminding us that it THIS air was safe to breathe. :puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
When I rolled my cigarettes I definitely could tell a difference in muggy humid weather. The tobacco became very moist and hard to keep lit.
And I will take a moment to whine about the heat and humidity here in Augusta, Georgia. It just plain zaps me. I am currently working as an electrician welder which means extra fire resistant clothes and heat from the welding. I deserve a little whining dont I. Well if I dont Im doing it anyway!

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Aye I feel your pain. I hate smoking in the hot weather. Eventhough it rarely gets above 77 degrees here, it's still too warm for me. I tend to just smoke cigarettes in summer.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
cosmicfolklore representing Alabama Weather!!! You know I can't stand our humidity down hear... but I can't see living somewhere different, I guess after a while you body just accepts where it is and adapt's to it.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Yes sir cosmicfolklore I understand that, at the peak of summer Alabama seems to be hotter than satan's family room and twice as humid. :D

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
It's been hovering around the 90s-100s here in Sacramento the past few weeks and lately. I've found that I enjoy either smoking in the morning as it is considerably cooler and/or around 7pm-8pm as it's starting to cool down (and if there was any wind, it'll usually die down to a crawl by then). Also, I've noticed I tend to go for the aromatics more primarily and don't give any of the englishes or virginias any thought.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
We're lucky the whole darn state isn't on fire by now [:rofl:] thats funny cobguy.
Unfortunately, it's not a joke.

We've already had a couple of big fires and the risk is very high right now.

In the wake of losing 19 young Hotshots last year ... people are pretty tense here.

Let's hope we get a good Monsoon this year and can refill some empty lakes and streams.

I took my 3 dogs out today and even the highest elevation creeks were completely dry.

Needless to say ... extreme caution was used while smoking my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.