PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I filled up a bowl of GH Kendal Kentucky yesterday evening and smoked it while watching rubbish on Netflix. It's a shag cut, with a slight molasses flavor and a little earthy. It's pretty tasty. After I finished half a bowl, I decided to call it a night and noticed, while brushing my teeth that I wasn't feeling so good. Man, that stuff is chock full of nic. It's 100% dark fired as far as I know. That's all. Thanks for reading.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I filled up a bowl of GH Kendal Kentucky yesterday evening and smoked it while watching rubbish on Netflix. It's a shag cut, with a slight molasses flavor and a little earthy. It's pretty tasty. After I finished half a bowl, I decided to call it a night and noticed, while brushing my teeth that I wasn't feeling so good. Man, that stuff is chock full of nic. It's 100% dark fired as far as I know. That's all. Thanks for reading.
I’ve been trying out several of the GH products, and I really enjoy most of those that I have tried.

I like the Dark Flake Unscented so much I bought the 500g sack. Although I had smoked it a few times before, the very small bowl I had the other night put me to bed. First time a pipe tobacco has done that to me.

It’s strong but not that strong! Motzek’s Dark Twist which is 1:1 DFK:Perique is stronger. Toscano cigar clippings which can be bought here and in Italy for peanuts, and are meant to be smoked in a pipe, are stronger. MacB’s Rustica was stronger than the Gawith DFK offerings for me.
All the above tobaccos including Kendal Kentucky and a couple others should be treat like Cognac: A little does it and it should be sipped. I love them all but only a little at a time.. puffy

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
All the above tobaccos including Kendal Kentucky and a couple others should be treat like Cognac: A little does it and it should be sipped. I love them all but only a little at a time.. puffy
I know this is old, but I've been enjoying Kendal Kentucky lately and started researching about what others think of it, especially because it's "full" and I wanted to know how I compare to others.

Oddly, I find it to be tremendously gratifying but don't get a nic buzz from it. At least I don't think so. Maybe that awesome gratification feeling comes just before the big buzz kicks in? IDK...

Actually thinking of ordering a pound or 2, something I've never done with any blend.

Reactions: kcghost and mingc

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There's always a stronger blend than the one that knocked you on your butt. Ask anybody. I smoked HH Rustica on an empty stomach and it damn near killed me. Gave some to my buddy who is very sensitive to any kind of strong tobacco, and he had absolutely no problem with it. Go figure. Enjoy you GH Kendal Kentucky just remember to eat something substantial first.

ThebigFil

Lurker
Feb 15, 2024
UK SW Plymouth
It’s strong but not that strong! Motzek’s Dark Twist which is 1:1 DFK:Perique is stronger. Toscano cigar clippings which can be bought here and in Italy for peanuts, and are meant to be smoked in a pipe, are stronger. MacB’s Rustica was stronger than the Gawith DFK offerings for me.
I love a good Toscano in the sun at a caffe in Luca 😍

Reactions: kcghost and mingc

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I find dark Birds Eye and Kendal dark to be similar to to Kendal Kentucky. All three are shags. While I do taste differences between them the main thing that comes across for me is whatever hardwood they use to fire cure the stuff . I wish they made a blend of straight air cured tobaccos

Reactions: mingc

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I find dark Birds Eye and Kendal dark to be similar to to Kendal Kentucky. All three are shags. While I do taste differences between them the main thing that comes across for me is whatever hardwood they use to fire cure the stuff . I wish they made a blend of straight air cured tobaccos

They are all Kendal Dark now. There is no difference. As confirmed by the GH Rep. They just never informed the consumer.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
And I've even got all 3 in separate jars with their "different" labels on them.................

I still think Kendal Kentucky is "better"....
I had several different jars and mixed them all together after the GH post about these blends. They are pretty much condiments to me. I can smoke them straight but lose my tongue after about 5 minutes.

spearheadbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2023
Long Beach
Ahhh the mysterious gawith hoggarth is just enhancing the myths and legends that shroud the worlds greatest tobacco manufacturer. I love it!

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
We didn't.
Kendal Kentucky was discontinued a while back.
In the UK and rest of the world only Kendal Dark has been sold for a while.
It is only in the US, it was decided to continue with DBE for a while longer until we could get the word out to switch to buying Kendal Dark.
As will be evident by many posts on this forum, we can state that one blend is the same as another due to circumstances over time and people will still argue it's not.