PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Captain Black is great stuff- only because it smells like my grandfather’s wood shop. I’m the winter he always had potbelly stove going in the corner and a pipe full of Captain Black lightly clenched between his teeth.

I was going to say that I’ve never tried CB Royal but I’ve smoked a fair bit of 1Q so I guess I have?

Reactions: Old Welder

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
it might just be us. But 1Q just never tasted any where as rich to me. Or as you say I've never noticed that same liquor quality. Then again it's been ages since I've tried 1Q so....
Maybe it's just the extra time in the package or I like the PG haha I'm sure if it's 1-q packaged, that would have some effect on the flavor.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I have to admit, I'm really becoming a fan of Capt. Black Regular. It is mild, yes, and doesn't have a huge depth of flavour, but it has a very enjoyable aroma that takes me back to when I was a kid around one of my uncles who smoked a pipe. I think there's a reason it's been around for so long and sells so well.
The Regular (white) is Lane's sweeter version of the classic American Burley & Molasses blend, so no wonder it's so popular & timeless.

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
I like the seven seas a lot. It's pretty cheap and not overly PG laden.
My favorite is 7 Seas Royal. I like Regular as well and sometimes get Gold. The other two I don't much care for. Just haven't been able to find a Cherry one that I like. A lot of people have told me to try Red Blood Moon.....maybe one day.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

GabrielSTB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2022
Philadelphia
Never thought I’d say it but I’m hooked on Captain Black as well. Smoked McClelland, Dunhill, C&D, Esoterica, GL Pease, Motzek, Orlik, Etc for years but had an inexplicable craving to try a cherry aromatic a few months back and discovered I like every captain black blend I’ve tried. Original, Royal, Dark, Gold, & Cherry are all in my rotation now. I’d like to get ahold of Copper, Round Taste, and Grape just for kicks. But don’t get me started on Borkum Riff…that’s another new favorite

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My favorite is 7 Seas Royal. I like Regular as well and sometimes get Gold. The other two I don't much care for. Just haven't been able to find a Cherry one that I like. A lot of people have told me to try Red Blood Moon.....maybe one day.
The Gold is good but a little one dimensional. Where as the Royal has many things going on that work well together. The Gold is just vanilla. I enjoy it but it's not for when I want to do anything more then put a pipe in my mouth and enjoy it without really paying too much attention. It's candy. Good candy but candy. Cherry I got no interest in. The two things tobacco and cherry just aren't my bag. Now Vanilla I have to admit I think just goes really nice with tobacco and I also find is the number one aro for getting lady attention. But the Royal is great.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I can’t remember if I smoked any 7 Seas, it would of been decades ago, when it first came out. hmm 🤔

Does any particular 7 Seas stand out by most, as the better one, and are they drenched in PG?

I just wonder if there’s a lot of artificial ingredients in the 7 Seas? I like smoking as natural as possible...

Last edited:

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
I love Captain Black. I’ve been smoking it since the early eighties. Original, royal, and dark. They are however the only aromatics I enjoy. My first was Captain black gold but once I tried the others that was it for the gold.

Reactions: Streeper541

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Some of my first experiences with pipe tobacco was Captain Black, mainly because it was cheap and I could find it pretty much anywhere. That was a big plus in the college days.

I don't smoke it as much anymore, but do keep a pouch around. There's a reason it's the "world's number one selling" pipe tobacco, and it's not just because of the cost. 😉

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My favorite Captain Black tobacco is Captain Black Copper. The only place that I know that you can still get it is West Virginia Smoke Shop. You can buy it in bulk. I was afraid that it would be totally discontinued so earlier in the year I bought a few pounds of it.