PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
I've been delving into "Homemade" Vapers, two ways:
1) Adding an established Vaper .... 50/50 .... to a straight Virginia.
Examples:
Fillmore plus VA #1
Beacon Extra plus 507C

2) Adding some Blending Perique (McConnell or McClelland or C&D) to straight Virginia.
NOTE: Experimenting with ratios of the perique at 10% .... 20% .... etc.

Perique Question:
Since a bit of perique is usually thought to enhance anything it's added to, does anybody ever add some blending perique or an established Vaper to an aro?

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I have not tried that with Perique. Curious as to your end goal? Because it's there is a good enough reason in my view.

I have done similar things with Latakia so I don't think it is crazy and can say that adding 50% to 1Q makes it more interesting.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Perique Question:
Since a bit of perique is usually thought to enhance anything it's added to, does anybody ever add some blending perique or an established Vaper to an aro?
I have. The flavors of Perique vary from year to year, from brand to brand. While I still had some, I used to add a pinch of Jewel Of St James, produced by Percy Martin Farms, to a few bowls worth of Rimboché AP. The combination added a nice sparkle to the flavor.
I can't speak to any of the blending Periques available at retail as mine came directly from LA Poche as gifts or through D&R Blender's Bench tubs that Mark would sell at the WCPS, which don't have any additional processing or flavorings. I certainly do enjoy using these Periques on those rare occasions when I have time to fool around with blending, and more often as an addition to an existing blend. It's fun when it works.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
I usually add Perique to all my tobacco. The amount depends on weather the tobacco was originally blended with Perique and the amount used. I like to have about 20% Perique. If the amount is listed I will add enough (estimated) to get to 20%. If not listed I will add small amounts until I get to what I like and go from there. If it does not originally have Perique (e.g. McClelland 5100, current Three Nuns) I weight it and add 20%. I only use the whole leaf Perique I got from Percy Martin several years ago. I have used the currently available blending Periques but I really prefer the Percy Martin, it's mustier.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Not done those specifically, but I do mix some strange concoctions from time to time.
(Recently it was Ennerdale to a larger % of Carter Hall)
Not expecting to find anything others would be jealous of, just doing something to "re-set" the palate without having to open a new tin when I'm not ready to make that commitment.
I say mix away and have fun!

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I have added blending Perique and Latakia to a blend of Lane BCA and Sutliff Nougat to enhance the last two tobacco’s. I settled on the ratios a few yeaars back and Jared several pounds. It created an American/English blend.
HGL from Tobacco Reviews:
Notes: This is Lane's RLP-6 with a touch of Latakia added.

I'm going to add some perique to HGL after reading your post about BCA.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
HGL from Tobacco Reviews:
Notes: This is Lane's RLP-6 with a touch of Latakia added.

I'm going to add some perique to HGL after reading your post about BCA.
Doing so creates the recipe for the Famous John Dengler Black Maria. Pronounced Myriah.

5.5 oz Lane RLP-6
1.5. Oz blending Latakia
1.0 oz blending Perique.

Now you know and can make one of the truly great American Blends from the Midwest.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The Doctor’s Own Blend is as follows:

4.0 oz of Lane BCA
1.5 oz of Sutliff #24 Nougat
1.5 oz of Blending Latakia
1.0 oz of Blending Perique

With both of the above blends, Black Maria and The Doctor’s Own Blend, let the set sfor a few weeks after being mixed.

These are nice takes on creating an English/American blend.

Reactions: canucklehead
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I've added perique to "topped" Virginia blends. Green Dragon from CS, McConnell Red VA, Luxury Navy Flake, etc. Just a sweetend Virginia of sorts. I've had success with it.
My home blended VaPers are almost all made with whole leaf, or some really good ribbon virginias that I might find from different online shops (usually bulk and sometimes blended). I do my own casing and write the recipes down and make note of what works and what doesn't. I've made some of my favorite smokes this way and make a couple pounds of something when I like it. Also, I'll press a portion of what I blend so I'll have maybe 1lb of ribbon and 1lb of kake/flake to store away.
Then again, I prefer a straight forward VaPer - YMMV

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
My favourite homemade vaper is D&R Windsail, D&R 3 Sails, and Sutliff bulk perique, in roughly equal proportions (33.333% each).

I tried adding some SG Brown #4 aromatic twist to that vaper base, and that actually turned out pretty nice IMO, however, my wife definitely didn't appreciate the room note.

20240108_193551.jpg

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
I have. The flavors of Perique vary from year to year, from brand to brand. While I still had some, I used to add a pinch of Jewel Of St James, produced by Percy Martin Farms, to a few bowls worth of Rimboché AP. The combination added a nice sparkle to the flavor.
I can't speak to any of the blending Periques available at retail as mine came directly from LA Poche as gifts or through D&R Blender's Bench tubs that Mark would sell at the WCPS, which don't have any additional processing or flavorings. I certainly do enjoy using these Periques on those rare occasions when I have time to fool around with blending, and more often as an addition to an existing blend. It's fun when it works.

Reading your reply reminded that a few years ago I purchased a jar of Jewel Of St James Perique and a jar of Jewel Of St James Genuine Black Twist Amazon from River Road Tobacco Co. I finally found it and will have to try it again, if I can get the jars open. I don't remember what it smoked like back then. I have about a half jar of the Amazon and about two pinch's of the Perique.

St James Perique+Black Twist Amazon.jpg

Reactions: FLDRD