SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 6, 2021
Yes hello friends, with special attention to chemists and medical professionals who may have further insight. I have been investigating for an inexpensive way to maintain a consistent humidity to store future tobaccos for long term. Please behold one of the patents for the Boveda system which I've found. Here are a few important passage:
  • The present invention utilizes a Saturated aqueous Solution of a Solute Such as an edible Salt or a Sugar or another Soluble compound that inherently creates a desired relative humidity in the air Space adjacent to the humidity control device. The Solution includes a Substantial amount of water in a fluid form as a Saturated Salt Solution. The Solution further includes a gel forming material Such as analginate or Xanthan. The combination of vegetable gum, water and Salt provides a highly viscous fluid. In the present invention, the Viscous Solution is contained in a polymeric pouch.
  • A Solution of Sodium chloride will provide a relative humidity at about 74%. The relative humidity measurements described herein are calculated at 70 F. If the humidity starts to fall below 74%, the salt solution gives up water to form moisture in the air until the air reaches a relative humidity of 74%. The water travels through the wall of the polymeric pouch and out through the various openings in the protective pouch case. On the other hand, if the moisture in the air around the present device rises above 74% relative humidity, the Salt Solution will pick up moisture from the air lowering the relative humidity to approximately 74%. A solution of sodium chloride with excess solid crystals of Sodium chloride will provide a relative humidity of about 74%.
  • Some examples of humidity levels possible with Single and mixtures of Solutes are listed below. Some solutes that produce/maintain humidity levels in the 90% or higher range are: potassium sulfate at 97%; potassium nitrate at 92%; cesium iodide at 91%; and barium chloride at 90%. Some solutes that produce/maintain humidity levels between 80% and 89% are: potassium chloride at 84%; Sucrose at 84%; ammonium sulfate at 81%; and potassium bromide at 81%. Some Solutes that produce/maintain humidity levels between 70% and 79% are: Sodium nitrate at 74%; Sodium chloride at 74%, and strontium chloride at 71%. Some solutes that produce/maintain humidity levels between 60% and 69% are: potassium iodide at 69% and sodium nitrite at 66%. Some solutes that produce/maintain humidity levels between 50% and 59% are: sodium bromide at 58%
  • The present invention provides a device for controlling the relative humidity in an environment for foods. In addition, the present invention provides extra protection against mold growth by the presence of mold inhibitors such as potassium Sorbate, Sodium propionate, Sodium benzoate, in the humidity controlling filling.
I understand from certain readings on this forum that pipe tobacco is ideally stored at 55% humidity, and within a margin of several degrees above this. Would this mean creating a homemade system is as simple as dissolving sodium bromide into distilled water, and storing a small container of this solution alongside an opened tin of tobacco in a sealed box or humidor cabinet? Assuming Boveda itself uses sodium bromide in its 58% humidity packs, it appears to be a relatively safe substance for the application at hand and is available on the large online retail platform which begins with the letter A. I guess their product is formulated with xanthan gum or another gel-forming substance in order to solidify it and market it in "pouch" form. But can the same humidity-regulating effects be enjoyed with omission of xanthan gum? If xanthan gum is desired (for gel format), what would the process be for adding it? Does it dissolve readily? Must there be heat applied? Must there be antimicrobials mixed in? etc...

I will experiment with various formulations and measure the the performance of each over time with a hygrometer and will post updates on this thread. If you choose to experiment with your own formulations, please post your findings here for the benefit of all.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My tobacco cellar was purchased off of a former pipe smoker. How it came to me was less than ideal. About 50 oz. of bulk leaf in ziploc bags, and about 60 tins, most of which were already opened, and the tobacco inside with no boveda packets. And me, a novice pipe smoker, sitting there with my thumb up my ass (in a very low humidity climate, mind you), knowing that the clock was ticking.

All the opened tin content went straight to ball jars. Anything that needed rehydrating got a boveda packet in with it for a couple of days, just enough to get the moisture level back to where it needed to be, but not long enough to allow the problem of mold growth. And the bulk? Boveda packet in each bag, until I got some mylar in the mail, and then straight into it went the bulk.

So, my experience lends credence to @BROBS and @craig61a 's advice. 7 mil mylar bags fit 2 oz. of leaf quite perfectly. Just seal 'em up with an iron or a flatiron, and boom, all taken care of.

the_simpsons_simplify_man_zpsffebf2b6.png
Listen to the aged hippie, sir.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You're better off to just seal the tobacco and leave it.

^^^^This.

Considering the variety of types of blends I wouldn't think there is an "overall" ideal humidity for all blends for storage.

I put mine in mylar bags, seal them, and forget about them until I'm ready.

My cigars are a bit different but even they simply get put in a sealed, temperature controlled, humidor with air circulation and a tray of food grade propelene glycol.

Both are a "set it and forget it" storage condition.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
An answer in search of a question. You dont need to screw around with humidity until you smoke it generally. Cigar storage isn't really applicable to pipe tobacco.