PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Any tips on working the holes in a chunk of oak with no power tools? And, could i use whiskey as a finish when I'm done? It's a one piece too well, most likely, this is my first attempt and I figured a one piece would be easier, I should be good with shaping with the files. The wood has sat for more than 3 months by now and it was a branch i found here on treasure island SF, so if this fails i roughly have 5 more attempts. I'm aiming for a straight pot or billiard and if this is succesful will be my first "real" pipe. Oh and I'm broke so more reason for a one piece and I can't go out and buy more tools.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Drew, what do you mean it's one piece? Most pipes are one piece in the bowl and shank, with a stem inserted. I think you

could get an inexpensive stem that would make the pipe more standard. Making a stem out of wood, the stem would get

chewed up quickly and you'd need to lop it off and insert a stem made of vulcanite or acrylic/lucite anyway. It sounds like a

noble project, sort of like what the seamen of old did, with lots of time on their hands. Oak is pretty tough going, but if you

keep chipping away, you can do it by-and-by. Not something you can rush. For drilling, you need a hand drill if you can't

do power tools. I sure wouldn't attempt hewing it out with a cutting tool. Be sure to get the right size drill head so you don't

have to do this twice, and plan carefully so the bowl and the airway meet correctly. Good luck.
When I was in San Francisco my first time on a minesweeper, Treasure Island was a big Naval base, but that's all gone. We

were able to tie up at a city pier so we could walk right into the wharf and city, no Naval base hassle.

drew

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
thanks mso, one piece as in what you thought, i might have an old acrylic stem laying around. Yeah treasure island is half section 8 housing and half rentals now, the navy leases it out to the city.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've used a screwdrive and a large screw to do a draft hole before. I didn't quite trust the speed of my drill after running it in and out a few times I managed to fit my small round file and that worked pretty well. As far as the chamber goes a chisel should work fine. Just work carefully and slowly a little at a time. I've had to scrap a few projects from working too fast and removing too much material. Good luck.

drew

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Ok Teufel, turns out i don't have a stem but oh well, there's a lot of filing left to do.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Well next time you place an order somewhere (I know P&C had them), look to see if they havve replacement stems also. I replaced a broken acryllic for my cob for $1.88 about 2 months ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes you can get cob Forever stems on sale for $18 or $19. Though you've said you're on a budget,

that much doesn't sound like a deal breaker. They're really nice stems, and perhaps you have a cob around

from which to get exact measurements. If you have a local pipe shop, they might have a vulcanite or

durable acrylic stem for several dollars.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I once burned a hole through a long wooden stem. I used some 1/8" diameter steel rod, heated it in a campfire until it was glowing red, then carefully inserted it a little at a time...reheating as necessary. If you try this method, you'll obviously either need to fashion a handle for the wire or use some thick welding gloves. For the large hole (the bowl), I guess you could try a brace and bit. Might be able to score one cheap at a second hand or antique store.

drew

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
I think I'll try that with some nails i got, i find all kinds of junk here so I'll have to dig through 'em. And I'll get a stem, lol. So when i got it all shaped and drilled could i use whiskey for coloring?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
You can get acrylic stems on ebay cheap and they are EASY to drill out if you want to make the draw perfect on them. (not that they don't draw quite well already)
AND I would take the shaping slow on your pipe. Even though the limb has been sitting for 3 months or more, it is nowhere near completely dried out. I do think it is possible to get splits if you remove too much material too fast.

drew

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
I'm not removing it too fast since I'm using hand files, it's slow. I'll get a bunch of acrylic stems after the 1st probably. And I think I answered my own question with the staining and finish, any drawbacks with the Olive oil route? And thanks everyone for helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.