PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Been brewing for years... Great hobby!

Just opened an American Rye that is going to go waaay to fast.

@Jamarel the best advice I can give to a new brewer is keep it simple...

If you are having troubles with temp I might reccomend putting your fermenter in a small tub of water and covering the parts not

submered with damp towels. Rewet them daily. The evaporation will keep tje wort cool.

You want to keep your fermenting beer at or below the reccomended temp to keep any off flavors from developing.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Just found some 55gallon food grade fermenters. Will be brewing major batch this weekend. Spiced winter ale.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Oh my god!!! You're brewing 50 gallons??? Niiice. I'm about to try a partial mash since I haven't finished my cooler mash tun.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Three half barrles and two Cajun cookers. I use a sleeping bag to wrap my mash tun in winter. Got about 400 gallons run through it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm tryin my hand at making some hard cider here in the next few days. I have a timeline of about 2 months.

I wanted to get this ready for "Festivus" and kind of fell behind here.
From my poor ingredients it looks like it will be more along the lines of a poor man's cider and nothing mind blowingly great. My father has a great deal of experience brewing, but very little in the realm of cider. Process is ultimately the same.
I will post some pics of the equipment, supplies, process, etc. soon. Should be fun.
I just want it to be drinkable, nothing fancy. :puffy:
bitchimfancy.jpg

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I have a great recipe for fast drinkable hard cider

a glass gallon jug of McCutcheons apple cider

two cinnamon sticks

a few cloves

some nutmeg (preferably whole because it's easier to filter when your done)

3 lbs honey (one of the larger bear shaped jars at your local wal-mart)

a number seven bung with airlock(or if you wanna go completely redneck a party balloon with a pinhole in it)

1 packet of champagne yeast

Takes about a month of brew time to get to a respectable 12%

and it's a kind of apple pie flavor instead of just straight apple

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm in a little apartment atm and am a little concerned with all the possible smells coming out with the co2.
Is my humble abode going to be smelling like apple bread for 2 months? lol
It's not a bad thing in my eyes. But I might get some flak for it by SWMBO.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Well, it may smell like rotten eggs for a few days actually, depends on how the yeast are feeling...enjoy!!! :P

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Well the Cider is bubbling like no tomorrow. Will have some pics up in a few hours. This is my first time brewing anything and it's a bit exciting.
It's been bubbling CO2 for about 30 hours now, and I haven't noticed any smell. I'll wait til it slows down almost to a stop and do a secondary fermentation to "clear up". Not sure if that even applies to apple cider. but we will see if it does.
:puffy:

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I hope your cider turns out well, Spartan! Tomorrow I'll be opening my first bottle of beer that I brewed. I'm planning on making some cider myself this weekend and possibly give making mead a shot as well.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Ok so here was my recipe:
4 Gallons 100% Apple Juice

2 Packets Champagne Yeast

1 Pound Corn Sugar

--------------------------

Total cost for ingredients = $15-$20 (including sanitizer solution)

Equipment costs will be higher, but are reusable.
PB012183.jpg

PB012185.jpg

PB012187.jpg

PB012184.jpg

Put it all in the glass bottle... shaky shaky for 10 min.

PA312181.jpg

Overnight it starts to bubble.

PA312179.jpg

And this lil guy goes nuts with the bubbles!

PA312180.jpg

See ya when it stops bubbling. I know this recipe isn't perfect, I used questionable apple juice... probably way too much sugar...and maybe too much yeast.... and you know why?
Cuz F**k it, that's why.
Happy Smoking Fellas.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I know I've been on-again / off-again lately, so just to let you guys know what I've been up to.
Going to pick up the frame over the weekend. Working on the RIMS heater, then add an L-Valve on the left pump, add some QD hoses, control panel, etc... and then a fermentation chamber. Hopefully should be ready to start making larger batches in another month or so.
stand_zpsc05f5ca2.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Very nice.
My cider turned out more like an apple wine that I didn't like. Looking back at my receipe now I'm not surprized lol.
I ended up freezing 3/4's of the batch, extracting the unfrozen alcohol/cider until all was left was a giant block of ice inside the container. I put that "applejack" into a few glass containers and added some apple juice concentrate to get it to ferment again inside the bottle to give it some carbonation.
Turned out to be a pretty nice drink to sip. Bubbly hard apple cider. My friends drank most of it at a New Year's party I brought it to.
Only have 1.75 Liters left of it. Gonna let it sit in the dark for a few more months...years. See what happends.
On to the next project!
Joshwolftree....I'm taking that reciepe next. :puffy:

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I've brewed beer several times. Wanted to try adding watermelon to the mix. During the first fermentation or during the second fermentation. Also straight watermelon water or with pulp (removed before bottling)?

Status
Not open for further replies.