PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
I saw c&d has a blending kit i was wandering if you guys blend any of your own smoke. If you do were do you get your supply's and how have they been turning out?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-metal-mixtures
Most online firms sell blending components. You can have a lot of fun with this!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The B&M I frequented in college had blending tobaccos and I gave it a go a few times. My results were not outstanding (like most things, experience or lack thereof is a factor). I had better luck adding straight components to existing blends, such as a bit of Latakia or some straight, strong VA or burley to an aro. Or some black cavendish into an English or other natural blend. I still do that on occasion, although I tend to use Dunhill Flake or Nightcap instead of buying straight blending tobacco. You can also mix blends together in varying proportions. I have the tobacco equivalent of minestrone or pot-au-feu, a jar wherein I put remnants of a tin when I don't have enough for a pipeful.

Jan 8, 2013
The C&D Blending kit is awesome. If you've been wanting to try your hand at blending, but are a bit overwhelmed on where to start or how, or what tobacco types to start with, the kit has everything you need to get started. The inclusion of some recipes, and a scale, and a few odds and ends including a small Missouri Meerschaum cob really makes it less daunting. I had been wanting to start blending for a while, and I was clueless where I should start. There's really not much information out there, that I could find anyway, to help you along. So, to me, the kit was a must have. It seems a bit pricey, but once you factor in everything that comes with it... including a beard guard (Who thinks of that???), it's well worth the price, in my opinion. After using the kit a few times, I've since started buying more blending tobaccos in bulk and I've made a couple blends of my own that I think turned out nice enough to multiply the recipe to make more. I give the C&D blending kit and easy 5 stars out of 5. It's the perfect starter kit, and I couldn't recommend it enough. The folks at C&D outdid themselves with it and I think you'll be more than pleased with it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though I've never bought a 'blending kit' I believe I own one already in all the manufactured blends I have.
I have done a few experiments and mostly had positive results. My favourite was mixing some Brown Bogie (which I found to be rather harsh despite the lovely flavour) with some Curly Cut (something I thought rather bland on its own) and the result was good, not perfect but good.
Brett (aka Deathmetal) suggested adding some pure burley to further smooth things out so I bought a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake and added that to my mixture...much, much better :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I never bought the kit either, but I'm in total agreement with Anthony that it was a brilliant idea on the part of C&D. Blending has always been an intimidating prospect for many people. All the options, all the various quantities, keeping track of what you are doing, etc. etc.
It's like training wheels for your first bike.

I blend Virginias occasionally, to mix it up some. If I liked Latakia more, I would probably enjoy the kits. But, with my taste range, perique and whatever Virginias are on hand are my only preferences for blending. I've made a few Virginia blends that really strike my taste buds. I like to add the brighter VAs to some of the darker bolder Virginias for a balance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I only tinker with blending, but my favorite concoction so far is a 50/50 mix of ODF and Black Twist XX.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My "blending" if it is even that, consists of filling half way with a light blend, and adding a stronger one to make the top half, such as John Cotton 1 or 1+2 topped with Smyrna, or Bengal Slices, or Margate, etc.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I blend some tobaccos and make little plugs out of them. I just pulled a year old plug that has some Virginia tobaccos that I get from a bloke in South Africa, some burley, and a touch of toasted black cavendish. It was pleasant smelling but still tasted like tobacco, as the Cavendish had no flavor added. It's definitely something I want to play around with a little more.

Jun 27, 2016
You in the USA? If you want to try some really good straight Orientals and/or straight Latakias, PM me as I have some posted in the sales forum here. :puffpipe:

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I have made one blend which I call Cattlebomb. She's a mix of three parts Perique, two parts C&D Izmir Turkish, and 1 part Burley. I've got about two pounds of it made and plan on making more of the same whenever I get a chance. Additionally I sometimes smoke Latakia, Perique, and other components on their own.
I get my blending components, for the most part, from smokingpipes.com. Tobaccopipes.com and pipesandcigars.com have also been sources for me in the past.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I call my efforts mixing instead of blending, since I don't use any pressure or heat, and I age only by happenstance, no particular method. I've found my mixes are more often than not excellent smokes. I usually mix only three or so bowls at once, although occasionally I'll mix up a jar. I didn't start with a kit, just a bowl and different tobaccos, often blending tobacco like a burley, Virginia, Cavendish, Turkish, cigar leaf, etc. But it works best for me to keep it pretty simple. You can mix single tobaccos, or you can liven up a blend with an additional blending tobacco. Unless you're Russ or GLP, it's difficult to get a working tasty blend out of more than three or four single tobaccos, and even two or three take a sense of proportion. But mixing is absolutely enjoyable. It expands your taste experience a lot.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I occasionally mix up my own version of 3 Nuns, using 1 part Newminster Superior Round Slices (rubbed out) and 22% blending Perique that I bought at P&C. It's very good, especially after it sits in the jar for a few weeks and allows those flavors to marry.

So far that is the extent of my home blending experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.