PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
This holiday season I have been very fortunate. Even though I picked these pipes out myself over the last couple of months, my wife made me wait until the holidays to open them up
Each one is a beautiful smoke in its own way and the wounded warrior project pipe is something I would have donated to anyway.
Three pipes - 2 estates and one new one.
Rad Davis - straight polished horn 2008
RADDAVIS2008STRAIGHTGRAINHORN6_zps639681d8.jpg

RADDAVIS2008STRAIGHTGRAINHORN5_zps37b33743.jpg

RADDAVIS2008STRAIGHTGRAINHORN4_zpscbb69983.jpg

RADDAVIS2008STRAIGHTGRAINHORN3_zps06a30dc0.jpg

RADDAVIS2008STRAIGHTGRAINHORN2_zpseaf818ef.jpg

Jerry Crawford new pipe from twofriendspipes.com, the wounded warrior project donation
JerryCrawfordBentBlastDublin_zps04b9c44f.jpg

JerryCrawfordBentBlastDublin2_zpsf30e8b17.jpg

JerryCrawfordBentBlastDublin3_zpse9674d91.jpg

Michael Parks Kansas City Pipe Club bent billiard pipe, last one he made using older technique on finishing:

MichaelParksKCPbentbilliard2_zpsfed26f89.jpg

MichaelParksKCPbentbilliard_zps0674b33f.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Commendable variety on shapes, textures and finishes. Impressive.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Gentlemen
Forgive me for not responding sooner- I've had quite a busy day
Thank you all for your kind words and I can say that in smoking all three of these pipes, my opinion is that size does matter!
The rad Davis is a beautiful pipe ( as all three are) but as the photo shows, the bowl is quite shallow and narrow.
Same with the Crawford pipe although deeper, there is quite a bit of wood around it making it a very cool smoke.

We don't hear much about Jerry Crawford on the forum, but the three pipes I own if his have excellent engineering of drilling, balance, and weight; and his stems rival Rad Davis in button and comfort.
Both pipes are simply made for Va's, and don't do as well for English, at least in my initial observations.
The Parks, on the other hand, does perfectly well with Englsh blends. According to Michael, this Kansas city pipe club piece was the last piece he had made using his older finishing technique. It has a larger deep bowl and the feel of the bowl on my fingers is wonderful.
Generally I no longer dedicate one pipe or other to specific blends, but in these three, the shallower ones will be for Va's and Va/pers, and the Parks for 'English' .
All in all, a fabulous holiday season!

Status
Not open for further replies.