PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Jeffrey Morgenthaler’s Egg Nog recipe is a go-to for me during the season. It also ages well, if you’re not weirded out by the idea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone noticed vino has more kick these days? I broke out a red that we've had for a few years, and though the label says it's 14%, I've had it with several meals, and I know it is more than that. My wife explains that with the climate warming, the sugar content in the grapes increases and ups the alcohol content.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Anyone noticed vino has more kick these days? I broke out a red that we've had for a few years, and though the label says it's 14%, I've had it with several meals, and I know it is more than that. My wife explains that with the climate warming, the sugar content in the grapes increases and ups the alcohol content.
Wine is a living thing so it's entirely possible it as continued fermenting and strengthening in the bottle.

I've had a number of Auslese rieslings that underwent secondary fermentation in the bottle and were essentially sparkling wines. Actually they were very nice.

Reactions: mso489 and Bengel

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Sugar content is, in fact, an issue brought about by climate change. More sun, more sugar = higher alcohol, less balance. That’s why you don’t get great wine from the tropics. The best come from climates with warm days and cool nights. Additionally, there is a variance that is permitted by the TTB. It can vary by as much as 1.5% and still not violate regulations. At least in the USA. Wines from elsewhere are subject to their their home country regulations.

Reactions: mso489

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Can’t believe I forgot my favorite beer for the holidays. All of you out there with a penchant for cellaring will love this.

Samichlaus is a strong doppelbock that is only brewed each year on St. Nicolaus Day (Dec 6). It’s not released until 10 months later. It’s highly allocated, and can be rough to get your hands on (we know all about that, right?). But, because of the high malt content and high ABV, it’s PERFECT for cellaring. I’ve got 12 vintages of them at the moment, but have tried much older. Not worth aging them more than 20 years. They seem to peak around 12-14 years. They’re worth the hunt. Just make sure you lay some down.

Also worth noting is that Hoppin’ Frog makes a clone that is VERY close. And easier to get.

And the tobacco pairings are limitless. But, my preference with be a Latakia blend to hold up to the heft of the beer.

Attachments

• 72F3FE87-6D07-4DAC-8CCF-55E675BBDD34.jpeg
    72F3FE87-6D07-4DAC-8CCF-55E675BBDD34.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
  • A5B9C159-D4C9-4708-AD19-343B42DEDFBB.jpeg
    A5B9C159-D4C9-4708-AD19-343B42DEDFBB.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Can’t believe I forgot my favorite beer for the holidays. All of you out there with a penchant for cellaring will love this.

Samichlaus is a strong doppelbock that is only brewed each year on St. Nicolaus Day (Dec 6). It’s not released until 10 months later. It’s highly allocated, and can be rough to get your hands on (
I haven’t had Samichlaus in years but I can still remember the taste. It is the perfect holiday beer. Sit by the fire and sip. So good.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Would you mind suggesting some entry level cognacs?

I enjoy bourbon, whiskey, and brandy with water. However, I'm not a fan of strong oak flavors or scotch with an overbearing peat taste.
It's a bit difficult not knowing what you have available to you but I'll do my best. (Can you have alcohol shipped to you? If so I can recommend some online sources.)

Oak and even more so peat are things you really don't have to worry about in Cognac or most brandies in general. I have tried some 40+ year olds that have noticeable oak but it's nothing like whiskey/whisky has.

Entry level can mean different things to different people but I'll use the following analogy to help:

Entry level whiskey might mean Jim Beam/Jack Daniels to some or it might mean Woodford Reserve/Knob Creek to others.

At the JB/JD level there is a plethora of well known VS & VSOP age level bottles available. I try to avoid these.

At the WR/KC level there's still many fantastic options available.

Much more above these I really don't consider to be entry level.

If you have Total Wine store anywhere near you look for A de Fussigny Selection or ABK6 VSOP. Even better would be Leyrat VSOP. When you're looking at bottles like these there are a lot of VSOP single estate offerings that are going to be good and it's more a matter of finding your personal preference.

If you have a good store you can post what they have available and I can provide some input.

You can also try the buying assistant at cognac-expert.com which will walk you through aroma and taste selectors and then you can set a price range to see what is out there that you might be able to find locally. The website is based in France but can be utilized to help you here.